weaver mount problem

Wyattw

Hello all,
I am trying to mount a scope on a Savage 10 receiver. I have weaver bases and rings. I do not understand how they are supposed to work. The bases have a slot where a bolt from the lower part rings go into. The problem is that the slot is offset (ie not in the center of the mount) However, the bolt on the ring is centered. Therefore, if you attach the ring clamp to the mount and the ring's bolt drops into the mount's slot, a small portion of the ring's clamp is just floating there in the air and not grabbing onto the mount. I am sure it would still work, but this just looks so sloppy I have to beleive something is wrong. Can anyone help me here? Thanks.

Yes a picture would be great. Something about floating in the air and firearms just don't seem like they go together, especially when you're talking about scope bases and rings.

Thats exactly the way they fit together. The crossbolt...i.e.recoil lug of the mount fits into the cross machined slot in the mount base.

With a rail setup you have Boo-Koo places it will fit. With separate bases you have ONE location it fits into and any other adjustment has to be from loosening the ring and sliding the scope back or forth in the ring

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.