Weaver Grand Slam 6-20x40 vs. Leupold VX-2 6-18x40

Jud96

Hello everyone, I am in the beginning stages of building my custom .308 Norma Magnum rifle and have narrowed down these two scopes and can't decide on which one to buy. The Weaver is at Natchez for a great price with a fine target dot reticle and I really like the new Weavers and the Grand Slam Micro-Trac system but Leupolds are Leupolds and It is only $100 more at Natchez with the same reticle and it has better target turrets than the Weaver. I have looked through my lower end Weaver and it is very clear for a $150 scope and I have looked through my Dad's 6.5-20x Leupolds and they are super clear, but never took a look through a Grand Slam or the VX-2 Leupold. I hear that the Grand Slam has amazing clearity that's on par with high end Leupolds and even beats out Nikon Buckmasters and Monarchs but I can't back this up. If anyone has ever compared these scopes side by side or owns anyone of them please tell me how they match up and what you like most about them. I would also like to see some close up pics of the Weaver Grand Slam's target turrets because its been hard finding pictures of the turrets. Thanks

I happen to know someone who has a Weaver Grand Slam on a Ruger No.1 300 WBY Magnum. I've worked on the rifle and shot it and I have to say that it's one of the hardest recoiling rifles I've ever ignited. If that grand Slam can stand up to the No.1's wicked recoil and still function flawlessly, it has my vote. The glass is crystal clear too.

While Weaver (IMO) isn't synonymous with high end optics, I see no faults with the Grand Slam.

Thanks for the reply but I've decided to go with the Leupold. I checked out the VX-2 at Cabelas today and it was extremely clear and I perfer Leupold's warranty, target knobs, their sunshades, and the fact they're made in the U.S. by a family owned conpany.

I juust mounted a VX2 on a customers rifle this afternoon. Personally, I like the Vortex line but thats personal preference. Far as Leupold being made here, not sure. They are very cagey about orign of products.

Far as warranty, the industry standared is a lifetime no questions asked returnable guarantee, driven by customer demand more than anything.

Optics manufacturers have to 'step up' or get passed up.

You really can't go wrong today no matter what yoiu get unless it's really cheap (like Tasco).:D

Thanks for the input. My Dad's .300 WBY is in a Remington 700 Classic and that thing thumps A LOT! He normally uses his old 4-12 Redfield on it but he's had a Leupold on it it a couple times and it held up to those 190gr slugs coming out of there at almost 3200 FPS so the Leupold should handle the .308 Norma.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.