Weaver 20 moa base, Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40

cbmadison52

Hi,

I would appreciate some advice. I have put a Weaver 20 moa base on my Savage 12fv in .223 in the hopes to shoot out to 600 yards. The scope I have is a Buckmasters 6-18x40. The scope has 50 moa. Will this work, or should I find a different scope. I plan on shooting 69 gr. Sierra Matchkings. What do you think?

cbmadison52

If you plan to track with that scope and not hold over then you might find some issues with inaccurate tracking but I am not sure on that particular scope. If the tracking is ok then the scope has enough elevation adjustment to get you out that far.

cb,
There's nothing wrong with the Buckmaster series of scopes and they track fine. I have the 6-18 w/Target Dot on a Savage 112BVSS in .300WinMag with 0 MOA setup in the rings/mount and I have taken it to 1000yds. I shoot it almost every weekend to at least 700yds, sometimes farther, and it works great.
I guess with a price range of $300-350, some folks may think they won't work as good as the $1000.00 + scopes - wrong! Spend that money on bullets, powder and primers and get some trigger time. That's what will get you those small goups at extended ranges. JohnnyK.

Thanks to all who responded,

I have been shooting for roughly 10 years. There is a lot to learn. I appreciate the response. I'd heard that the Buckmasters 6-18x40 was a pretty good scope for the price. I can't afford a Nightforce or a Schmidt and Bender, or some of the other higher priced scopes. But, I love to shoot. And, I've been doing my own handloading for 2 years, now.

I typically use Varget, and I work with Sierra's 5th Edition manual. I also refer regularly to the Hornady website's ballistics calculator.

Like many, I hope that reloading components, powder, primers, bullets and brass become more plentiful. The last year has been something else!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.