Weatherproof Gun Sleeve

RockyMtnHigh

I was curious what type of gun sleeve or other protection device people are using to keep their rifles protected from the elements while backpacking when your rifle is attached to your backpack.

Stainless rifles with synthetic stocks riding in an Eberlestock backpack with built in scabbard.

I only have one wood/blue rifle in the gun cabinet at the moment. Everything else is set up to hunt in bad weather. For whatever reason, I seem to have better luck hunting in foul weather that in good weather, so my rifles reflect that...

I can say I have hunted a couple of backpack hunts with a 1939 Model 70 300 H & H Mag with blue steel & have had no problems all I did was wax the stock & the steel & water beads up and runs off. By the way I also have a Erblestock pack.

I'm new to backpack hunting, so I wasn't sure if most of you were using some sort of weather sleeve to keep your gun and scope out of the water if it rains or snows. It sounds like today's equipment is weatherproof to the point that you don't need to worry much about whether your gun and scope gets wet or not.

Separate question: What type of in the field rifle cleaning kit do you use to clean your rifle if it does get wet or gritty before taking a shot?

Just in case it snows or rains real hard, for the bore, I have some tape or use a rubber finger tip-or just carry it upside down most of the time in rain or snow. Don't want to let ice form down in the tube...... I want that 185GMX to come straight out!!!:D

"Separate question: What type of in the field rifle cleaning kit do you use to clean your rifle if it does get wet or gritty before taking a shot?"
I carry a bore snake.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts