Weatherby VS Sako

Davo

Anyone have an opinion on the Weatherby Super VarmintMaster/Super PredatorMaster VS a SAKO Laminated Varmint in terms of accuracy and quality? I am looking for a long range gun - off the shelf per se.

Any info or experience with either would be great!
confused.gif

What made you narrow your choice to these two rifles, what do you like about them? What calibers are you looking at?

I would like to see some opinions about the Weatherbys too. I was looking at the Accumark because it is available in LH without having to go to a custom builder.

Davo, everyone <tips his hat>

I've worked a bit with a number of Weatherbys in: 257, 7mm, 300, 340, .30-378, .338-378, and .460. Oh, and a 7-08.
smile.gif
They CAN be very accurate. But, and here's the catch, for over $1000, a lot of rifes can be made accurate. When you say "long range", what does that encompass? In other words, if the range is 600 yards, the 7mm Weatherby or 300 would be very good choices. You could go with a .30-378, but you're liable to burn out the barrel before you learn what the gun likes!
tongue.gif
I'm kidding {sort of}. I wouldn't recommend those monster rounds in 26" barrels and rifles of factory weight--it's not your BEST move, I feel. As for Weatherby versus Sako...balls, let me think before responding. I have owned three sakos, all very nice, accurate weapons, for factory firearms. They're good. Damned good. Really, the only faults with the Weatherby rifles are freebore, some people don't like the nine locking lugs, additionally, but I have SEEN Weatherbys that have shot mighty good. Mine do; I have a .257 that [actually, two], one with minor stock work, a little TLC on the trigger, some strange lapping methods [anyone ever try lapping a barrel with lead bullets using JB as the lube?], will easily hold >1 MOA groups out to 600 yards. I feel if the weapon had a stiffer barrel, it'd easily do even a bit greater on calm days [also, .257 bullet selections suck, in my opinion]. My Sakos have done fine, also. IF I were to give you some honest advice, I would say get something that lacks freebore. In a weatherby, you're going to get the short end of the stick, because all Weatherby designated chamberings employ the freebore [for other markers' rounds, they chamber according to the standard spec.] Here's the part where things go limp; if it's NOT a Weatherby designated chambering, the bastards slap a 24" barrel on instead of a 26", and in magnum chamberings, obviously, you'll have reduced velocity and more importantly, increased muzzleblast. The Sako's, usually, employ a 26" barrel on their target series in mags, but not always! Make sure you check. And if you go with a Weatherby, get an Accumark--heaviest barrel contour. You may also want to check out Remington's Sendaros...I haven't heard TOO many complaints over those.
smile.gif
Luck be with yee whatever thou chooses! I learned the hard way; spend a few extra dollars on a used but nice rifle, rebarrel, and teach them ol` rednecks you call your friends some respect!!! Yeehaw--and Merry Christmas to all.
grin.gif

Dave

Rbrowning, I feel your pain! I am also a lefty. We are the orphan children of the world! FYI...I was going to buy a weatherby but instead purchased a remington 700 LSS (300 RUM), rebarreled with a kreiger 7mm STW. Sent it to my smith, Dale Story. (dgsrifles.com) he glassbed, trued everything up and did his thing. Now I have a super gun, better than any factory weatherby for just about the same price. The only thing I'm going to do now is put a Mcmillian stock on it.

Happy Holidays.

Davo

These Rem. 700 stainless jobs in 7 mm UM shooting a 162 A-MAX 3,380 with Retumbo at 1/2 MOA are hard to beat when you look at ballistics/effective range per $$$ spent.

Howdy Davo

Merry Christmas!

Does it have to be off the shelf? Have you considered something like a left bolt right port or right bolt left port. I have built a few of these on HS stocks with the HS detachable box magazines and guys love them.

The drag about being in Canada is we don't get s*&%t up here. Or should I say all we get is s&%t here. If the red tape between Canada and the US would end I would have one made, however... for now I'm left with off the shelf.
mad.gif

Why cant you have one made?
I purchased an action from Prairie Gun Works and they are in canada?

I still say to go with the rem 700 (or 700 lss if you like stainless) and rebarrel.

Good Luck!

Hey, Davo

Yes, the restrictions between here and there are nothing short of a curious cross between humanic immaturity and poor efforts out of making useful friends when the opportunity is there. <Now you all know why I list as "not political" on Yahoo's personals....>
tongue.gif

Ok, back to stuff that IS important!
grin.gif
Hell with the politics, I'd much rather talk guns! The Sako would definitely not let you down. I have worked with a bunch of guns, but I can't recall hearing of an inaccurate Sako. {BTW: the reduction in velocity from 26" to 24" isn't enough to get excited about; what matters is load consistancy. The extra 50fps won't do **** until you get WAY out... The noise reduction can be noticable, though} Anymore, a lot of guns are accurate. But accuracy isn't all there is to the pie, is there? Hell, I know some guns that cost $500 off the shelf, and will shoot as accurately as some $2000 autoloaders [and, if someone doesn't know what they're do'n, a bolt gun!] BUT, there are of course things likely to be on that $2000 gun that may off-set. It really is a personal choice, but I can tell you that your selection is a good one. The barrel length, as you mentioned, is the ****er; I tend to favor barrel lengths [for shooting standing inparticular] of 26" to 28". The 6PPC project I am attempting now <some fellows on this site will be aware of that nonsense> is going to sport a 27" barrel, with some weird dimensional variations. One thing that MAY influence a person is the stocks that come on the Weatherby Accumarks; they're not bad, really, with those aluminum bedding blocks. Obviously being factory produced, they'll still have a little slop, to be expected, but they'll certainly do. If you feel inclined, a person can always glass the thing. It's a shame you don't want a .257; as I said, I have two, and one is a more-or-less new factory gun [Eurosport]. I love the caliber, but it isn't such a good choice for someone who's learning how to shoot and wants to shoot A LOT. However, I must like it enough, because I refuse to sell them both. As far as VarmintMaster over PerdatorMaster...the VarmintMaster is the heavier/better gun for longer range shooting. Depends on what you call "long range".
wink.gif
The best advice is this: Set a budget for MAX: now, find out how much a set of really good dies and components are going to cost. Price some used but FINE glass. Subtract that from the total, and that's the gun you're stuck with!! <just like getting married!>
grin.gif

Dave

Oh, and as a depressing side-note, I think the SVM that Weatherby puts out in .223 and .22-250 both have 1-14" twists. This is fabulous for 100 yards and 45-52gr pills, but pops the pelican with regards to long range'n. <hands up> On the flip side, they all sport 26" barrels, according to my lititure. So, if a .243 is on the agenda...

I reduce the field to Weatherby and Sako because..
S1
1. I own a Finnlight -06 and it shoots 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds with a 20" barrel.
2. My friend had a Weaterhby SVM in .308 and it was also a very good shooter.

I really want a 26"-28" heavy barrel in .243 with a synthetic stock and a detachable mag. I have to give up the mag on the Weatherby and give up a synthetic stock and 2" on the Sako. I can't find anything else to fit the bill!!

Great info Cybra, thanks,

I am moving toward the SAKO but the shorter barrel doesn't motivate me enough...

Merry Ho-Ho

smile.gif

[ 12-25-2002: Message edited by: Davo ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.