Weatherby vanguard build advice

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by James Kiser, Sep 3, 2013.

1. James Kiser

James Kiser Well-Known Member

I just got a weatherby vanguard chambered in 300 wby. First I'm going to get a new stock for it, this tuppaware stock ain't going to cut it. What stocks do y'all like? I'm looking at mcmallian a5 stocks.
    Next what gunsmiths do y'all recommend to put a good quality barrel on it as well as true the action.
    Ill drop a timney in it.
    Who do y'all recommend to do the work?

2. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

Just had a couple of these done myself... one was actually a S&W M1500 which is the same thing. your choices in stocks boil down to B&C, McMillan and Manners. If your barrel is heavier than a #5 contour, that eliminates the B&C in a long action. I used the B&C medalist for one and and a Manners for the other. The Manners stock is not a true fit to the Howa/Vanguard action. The tang of the action protrudes above the stock by about 1/4", so the stock need to be built up or the tang milled down. I opted for my smith to round the top edges of the tang. My next heavy barrel build will be with a McMillan. For #5 barrels and less< ill go with the Medalist.

I would recommend finding a good local smith who will work on this action - not all do. If you can't find such a smith, I would gladly recommend my smith. He's a great guy and does excellent work.

3. B23

B23 Well-Known Member

A few years ago I bought a used Howa 1500 in 270Win. to use as a donor action for a semi custom build my dad wanted to do. He sent it to Randy Melvin (Bull Mountain Rifle Company) in Billings Mt. and had it turned into a 6.5-06ai. I ordered a Manners T2 stock for it which Randy put pillars in it and bedded it to the action. They used a Lilja barrel and a Timney trigger. It turned out VERY well and is probably one of if not the best shooting rifle in my dad's safe and he doesn't have a great deal of money invested in that build.

4. Hired Gun

Hired Gun Well-Known Member

McMillan will inlet an A5 for a Vanguard if you ask for it. The only problem with McMillan is by the time you get it, you may be too old to use it.

5. James Kiser

I got a blackhawk knoxx from my buddy. It was free and it's actually a nice stock. Reduced recoil dramatically. Who knows, I may keep it lol.

6. MontanaRifleman

That works too...

7. James Kiser

Ugly as all get out but it works for now. Ill talk to mcmallian to get the ball rolling. What barrel should I go with?

8. MontanaRifleman

I would go with at least a 26" and the heavier the better, so the heaviest you can stand. Heavy barrels are going to be more consistent and less finicky about accuracy.

9. James Kiser

I would love a 30" krieger but their backorder times are crazy. What other barrels do y'all recommend?

10. Hired Gun

For a quick Krieger Bruno Shooters Supply: 30 Cal

If you don't mind the wait I have been having incredible luck with Bartlien barrels.

Krieger's work to. Last 300 RUM with a Krieger shot .250 at 200 yards with customers old hand loads.

I occasionally source from www.bugholes.com.

11. ultraedge

ultraedge Well-Known Member

Butch's Reloading has Bartlein and Krieger in stock. Gary

12. James Kiser

I'm going to duracoat this rifle as well!

13. Hired Gun

Top of the line everything and then Durocoat?

14. sinarms

sinarms Well-Known Member

I usually always recommend Brux barrels but any of the top barrel companies will work fine. If you want to use Durocoat you might as well save money and get rustolem. Go Cerakote