Weatherby to RUM

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by tillroot1, May 21, 2009.

1. tillroot1

tillroot1 Well-Known Member

I am wondering if anyone has built a .300 RUM on a Weatherby action? and if there were any feeding issues? and how to fix them? Thanks, Ron Tilley

2. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Yes. If it is the MK5 action.

They make great actions to build on because=They are center feed and will handle almost any
    magnum round + the magazine is .100 thousandth longer allowing longer bullet seating .

To tune the magazine you simply bend the mag box opening to just hold the round.

The magnum bolt face actions like the 257 W Mag,270 Weatherby mag,300 Weatherby mag
    and 340 Weatherby Mag will work for the RUMs.

J E CUSTOM

3. tillroot1

tillroot1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply! does this work for the bdl style mag that Weatherby has? this is a mk5 and has the hinged floorplate. the bolt will pick up the case out of the mag for about 1/2" then slide over the case head and hang up on the case body. Thanks, Ron Tilley

4. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

JE,
    based on your post, I would assume that the Mark 5 action could be used to make a 338 EDGE also ?
    And if so, might be a better way to go than to mill out the back of a Rem 700 action by 0.110+ to allow bullet seating with the 300 SMK. If this is an option, you might be interested in that caliber to , tillroot1.
    Your thoughts.
    JIM

5. JAWZ

JAWZ Well-Known Member

My edge is being built on the MkV action hope to have it very soon.
    Will put up some pics when done.