Weatherby rifles

Accumarks don't say "Accumark" on them anywhere.

It sounds to me like you got an Accumark, if it came from the factory that way and you bought it brand new.

Quick call to Weatherby the very courteous, real, and 100% english speaking lady (with NO foreign accent) instantly transfered me to the custom shop, and the guy there was very helpful and courteous as well. Lets you know you're dealing with a good company. Makes me proud to own a Weatherby. :)

He confirmed they use Criterion barrels on all standard production rifles. The TRR (Threat Response Rifles) use Krieger barrels. Kriger and Criterion used to be under the same roof years ago, but are now seperate plants.

So, I guess that solidifies things right there.

Everything looks like it must be an Accumark. I called Weatherby and they will be happy to tell me for $50. It must take them like 15 seconds to look up the serial number. Nothing like courteous service to attract customers.
Jimbires: mine seems to look just like the one in your picture except the stock color and webbing. But it is hard to tell colors that well in pictures. Your stock appears to be gray, mine is coal black with pretty distinct white webbing..

I am surprised that the Accumarks, if they are supposed to be superior rifles to the ordinary Mark V's, are not marked as Accumarks.

I don't throw away anything that comes with a new rifle, so I must have the instruction pamphlet and receipt somewhere. I'll post it if I find it. If anyone comes up with anymore ideas, let me know. Does Kreiger mark their blanks anywhere? There are about a dozen web sites that supposedly tell you how to tell the difference, but none of them do.

This has become a mission now, but not one I will pay $50 to solve.

If your rifle looks like this, then it is an Accumark...

8C47ACDA-0D7C-484D-A02A-4A02A1731CC8-20470-00001311274DDC42_zps4108e7fe.jpg

Everything looks like it must be an Accumark. I called Weatherby and they will be happy to tell me for $50. It must take them like 15 seconds to look up the serial number. Nothing like courteous service to attract customers.
Jimbires: mine seems to look just like the one in your picture except the stock color and webbing. But it is hard to tell colors that well in pictures. Your stock appears to be gray, mine is coal black with pretty distinct white webbing..

I am surprised that the Accumarks, if they are supposed to be superior rifles to the ordinary Mark V's, are not marked as Accumarks.

I don't throw away anything that comes with a new rifle, so I must have the instruction pamphlet and receipt somewhere. I'll post it if I find it. If anyone comes up with anymore ideas, let me know. Does Kreiger mark their blanks anywhere? There are about a dozen web sites that supposedly tell you how to tell the difference, but none of them do.

This has become a mission now, but not one I will pay $50 to solve.

Unbelievable... Weatherby hasn't been my favorite company, but probably my most favored of the big gun companies.... but.... I've always had a high degree of respect for them as one of the bigger guys. That is quickly fading. A few months back I called about a couple of Vanguards I owned to find their age... date of manufacture. They asked for the serial numbers which I gave them and in a couple of minutes my questions were answered.

They would have easily been able to tell you everything about that rifle with a serial number.... very sad...

Based on your description, you have this...

Mark V® Accumark® | Rifles | Products | Weatherby.com

The other option is this which does not fit your descript

Mark V® Fibermark Composite | Rifles | Product | Weatherby.com

Thanks, MudRunner. Mine looks exactly like that in every detail (except the scope, of course). Mystery solved and I am not out $50. Thanks to everyone who helped solve the mystery. I have purchased about 50 guns, some in the 3-6000 dollar range from this dealer. I think he decided he owed me a break when he sold me the Weatherby for $1200. I used to have a dealer license, but surrendered it when I found out that since I listed my home as my place of business, I automatically also surrendered all my search and seizure rights to the whole house, not just the room I designated as my business. The dealer who sold me the rifle still made money. Those of you who have licenses know the mark-up on guns.

The business where I bought it was begun before I was born (67 years ago) by an immigrant gunsmith from Germany. His son took it over, then his sons took it over, than all of a sudden they announced that they were closing as of October 1. As to why is a huge mystery that no one wants to talk about. They were the only reliable, reasonably priced dealer within a hundred miles, and they will be sorely missed. They were much too experienced and established to have made any mistakes that would have made the ATF bust them to that degree, so I guess we will never know the story. All kinds of rumors are floating around, but they are just that...rumors. What does seem to be true is that they are building a huge indoor range to which all of their inventory, rumored to be in the thousands of guns, will go but under the license of an as yet unidentified individual. It is all very weird, and the price of all my reloading supplies is going way up because the closest dealer of anything is the nearest Cabelas store, 100 miles away. To make matters worse, we here in WA are facing an initiative requiring background checks on every gun sale, dealer or private that takes place in the state. Our legislature had this on the table this past session but refused to deal with it, deciding to let the anti's take it to the people. We have fairly liberal gun laws here, with the exception of an outright ban on anything class 3. We have "must grant" laws on concealed carry, suppressors were allowed two years ago; we have good hunter harassment laws, and most counties have adopted range protection legislation. But the initiative has a real chance of passing. They have over 200,00 signatures already with a long time to go to meet the requirements to be on the ballot, so the people will be deciding. We are actually two states, one west of the Cascade mountains, one east. East is always ultra conservative and will oppose this in force, but the west side has Seattle and Bellevue with a huge liberal base and usually makes the decision on issues like this. Based on King county votes, WA passed gay marriage laws and legalized marijuana in the last election. Courts have already affirmed background checks in other states, so we will get no help there. How they expect to monitor private gun sales can only ultimately mean one thing, registration so they know who owns what. I have beaten this horse to death on Facebook, but that only reaches a very limited number of people who may or may not agree with me anyway. I think we may be in trouble here. The NRA is already working on this, but we have two of the most liberal senators in WA DC, and they like to get involved in state issues. Thanks again for all the help, and future posts from me in about 15 months may be from Kentucky.

No problem OT....My service fee is $50....:D

Hahahahaha!!! Just messin with you!

If you ever decide to part with that-there .30-378, holler at me. Always wanted a big brother to my .257 Wby.

Mudrunner: the truth may have hurt you. I actually took the gun out to get it ready to sell. Now that I know more about it, I think I will keep it and shoot it awhile before I do that. It has only been fired 10 times, and the best group I got was 1.5 inches. But I have loaded up a half dozen experimental loads to run through it, and I am confident that I will get it under an inch. If I can't it will be on the block, but I have had only one rifle that I could not get under an inch , and that was a Remington Model 7 custom with the Mannlicher stock. It was a beautiful gun, but would not shoot for ****. I gave up and sold it for double my purchase price. I think it shot better than I shot it. I hate recoil and put brakes on everything. Since this was a full length stock, there was no place to put a brake. I guess I could have magna-ported it, but I knew that drilling a bunch of holes in the barrel would affect the selling price. I have a feeling that I was flinching badly when I shot it because even though it was just a .308, it had a really nasty recoil. If I do decide to sell the Weatherby, I will let you know. I will put a note on my loading bench. Thanks.

Does yours have the Accubrake on it, or is it an un-braked model? I am not recoil sensative, but I bet an unbraked .30-378 would be brutal...

Let me know how she shoots!

Try a 200 gr accubond with RL25 and seated Mag Length. Fed 215 primer. I have had great success with that combo in the several 30-378's I have owned. Your COL should be close to 3.80

Mudrunner: mine has a factory brake on it, and it shoots very softly for the monster that it is. I am very sensitive to recoil, and I put brakes on almost everything. I bought a little Tikka 25-06 recently, and even it was kind of nasty. Then I had it improved, and the recoil doubled. I asked the smiths who did it (Benchmark), and they said that is pretty typical. Just straightening the case and changing to a 40 degree shoulder changes everything that takes place when you pull the trigger, and improved cartridges almost always result in a much higher felt recoil. (So they said) So I put a brake on that one, too. Anything I own above 6mm has a brake on it. I know lots of guys like to be macho and essentially say "I don't need no stinkin' brakes," (Get the allusion there?) but it beats the hell out of me why I would want to beat the hell out of me whenever I go shooting. When I can lay out my 30-378, or one of my Lazzeroni Warbirds, or my 338 Lapua, or my 338 Rem ultra, or any one of my 300 Win Mags and shoot it without touching it with my left hand, then I have a good time. I bought a Browning highwall in 45-70 about ten years ago. It is a gorgeous rifle...XXX walnut wood, octagonal barrel, crescent butt plate, etc., etc. I took it out to shoot it, and by the fifth shot I had both eyes glued shut and I was pulling a 2 pound trigger at about 25 pounds. No one at the range had a clue where the bullets were going, but as usual, I was a source of entertainment to the usual boys. So now I am "stuck" with an essentially useless gun. I won't shoot it, and my two partners won't either. I was black, blue, orange and yellow for about two months. Since it has the octagonal barrel, putting a round brake on it would be a sin, and magna-porting it would be just as bad. I am going down to Benchmark today and see if they can make a brake that would match the shape and color of the barrel. I think I know the answer: We can do it for a mere $1000. But they are super good guys to work with, and they may view it as a challenge and an advertising opportunity. At least those are the arguments I will use. It is just too beautiful to even consider selling, so if nothing else works, I think I will build a nice walnut display case and hang it on the family room wall. When I shot the 45-70, there was a stranger at the range with a 416 Rigby with a brake on it. He wanted to shoot it without the brake because he was headed for Africa and the guides would not let him use a brake. He never screwed up enough courage to shoot it with the brake off, but he let me do it. The recoil on that Rigby wasn't even close to the recoil on the 45-70.

Benchmark is a relatively new outfit, but their reputation has exploded, and now it takes 3 months to get anything done. But they do flawless work and they make excellent barrels. I would recommend them to anyone who wants any gun work done. And, no matter what goofy thing you want done, they will do it without spending 15 minutes explaining why you are an idiot for wanting that in the first place. The guy who custom built my .257 STW spent 2 hours on my dime trying to talk me out of it. But he taught me a lot on how to make a barrel burner last a lot longer, and I have been shooting the rifle since Simpson introduced them with no loss of accuracy. If anyone wants the ultimate in a beanfield rifle, the .257 STW is an excellent choice. And you do not have to have one custom built. Just buy a Sendero in 300 Win mag, and have it rebarreled and you are set to go. Just don't use NBT's in it on deer under 200 yards. Use accubonds. Inside 200 yards, a 120 grain bullet traveling at the speed the .257 travels still has enough energy, combined with a bullet that essentially fragments shortly after impact produces an empty deer. I shot a doe on a meat hunt with mine at about 80 yards, and when I rolled her over to start dressing her out, the far side of the body had a 2' hole in it, and the deer, with the exception of the heart and lungs, was completely disemboweled. The newer "hunting" NBT's probably work better, but I have not tried them.

HIghridge: coincidentally, I have ten shells with that exact load ready to test. I hope I get your results from them. Many thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry this is so long. I was an English teacher assigned to teach college bound honors kids how to write right. I just can't keep anything short.

It's ok, I'm a bit of a grammar junkie, myself.

I have an 1874 Sharps reproduction .45-70 with a 29" octagon barrel on it. I got it a few years back in a trade with one of my buddies. I've never shot it. Not that I'm scared to, since I will sit and shoot my 7mm STW (no brake) at the range all day. It certainly doesn't bother me. I just don't really have the desire to shoot it, as it's such a nice piece I'd rather it just sit in the safe and be a keep-sake, since you don't see many of them running around. Also, I have always been a bolt-action fanatic...And I'd much rather shoot those.

I have always wanted a 7.82 Warbird. Great caliber! Expensive to shoot and buy brass and powder for! LOL

My buddy owed me some money, and there was a used, but in good shape Rem 700 7mm STW heavy barrel on ebay yesterday, and he picked it up for me for $75+ shipping. It's a 1:9 26" barrel, so it should stabilize my 180 VLD's even better than my factory 9.25 twist Sendero SF 7STW. So, I guess for now my spare magnum action will become another 7STW. Then in a month or so when I get my 5R .300 WM barrel, I will probably turn it into a switch-barrel rifle, as well, so I can shoot either 7 STW or .300 WM out of it.

I like both my Warbirds, but to be honest, the Sako is the better shooter....so far. I have not shot the Lazz rifle very much yet, so that probably isn't a fair statement. I had knee replacement surgery about a year ago, it went bad, had it redone in April, it went worse, will try for the trifecta in November. Then I had carpal tunnel surgery a month ago and the feeling hasn't come back into my fingers yet, which makes it really hard to shoot (and type). Getting old is really fun...the golden years my ***.
Warbird brass was available from Midway last time I checked at about half what Lazzeroni charges for it, but it seems to be really good brass. He claims it can be reloaded up to 20 times, but I have never seen any brass that lasts that long. I will be happy if I get six or seven loads out each case. When I got mine, I weighed them and checked them all for runout, and out of 100 pieces, I did not have to discard any. The Warbird does go through the powder, though.

Good score on the 7mm STW. I do not have one, but it must be a great caliber since all the manufacturers immediately jumped on it when Simpson introduced it. I have never read anything negative about it, and it pretty much eliminated the 7mm magnum.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.