Weatherby rifles

Old teacher

I never cared much for Weatherby rifles, and frankly do not know much about them. I hunt with a guy who has two of them, and has had more than his share of problems with one; the other is a 300 yd tack driver.

So, on an impulse without doing any home work, I bought one. I bought a Mark V in 30-378 and put a vortex viper scope on it after an exhaustive search for rings and mounts that would stand up to the recoil of the gun. (I ended up having to call the Blackhawk people and get them to describe to me exactly what I needed.) I started out with Leupold single screw rings, and knew I had a problem after the third shot and the scope was gone. It was lying on the grass behind me, undamaged. Fortunately I am used to being laughed at when I go to the range. I think people instinctively know when I am coming and they buy tickets to see what I am going to bring and what stupid move I am going to try next...like when I tried to drive a 50 grain NBT through my 22-243 at 5000 ft. per second. Well, I read an article that said it could be done! My old shooting glasses now hang in my gun room with bits of steel still imbedded in the right lens. Anyway, back to the Weatherby and more of my ignorance. I was perusing the Weatherby website to see what was available, and they mentioned a Mark V, and a Mark V Accumark. When you click on each, you get a picture of the same gun with a $500 difference in price. The only difference I could find is that a Mark V has a six lug bolt and the Accumark has a nine lug bolt. But then on a different spot on the site, it explained that only the magnums have the nine lug bolt. All Mark V's show a factory brake, which mine has. To confuse things even more, I paid $900 less for my rifle than anything listed on the Weatherby site. So finally we get to my question: are all Mark V rifles Accumarks, or are there two different Mark V rifles? And how did I get a rifle with an MSRP of $2100 or $2300, depending on where you look, for $1200, NIB from the most reputable of all dealers on the planet? Thanks.

No, not all Mark V's are Accumarks. There are different Mark V rifle models, and then there's the Mark V Accumark rifles, which are their top of the line model (the Deluxe, Lazermark, etc... only cost more because of the high-grade expensive fancy stocks on them). I paid a great price for mine, too...Around $1,300 special order from my local dealer.

You have a great gun, caliber, and scope combo.

All Mark V's are either 6 or 9 lug. The .240 Wby and standard cases (.30-06, .270 Win, etc...) are the 6-lug bolts. The .257 Wby and all magnums are the 9-lug bolts.

That's how you can determine that.

As for rings and bases, you could always use Leupold 30mm rings and old school dovetail bases.

Or you could get an EGW 1 piece picatinny base and some TPS TSR 30mm Low-height or medium rings (depending on your preference). And you'll be good to go.

Mags are 9 lug and std cartridges are 6lugs with few exceptions. Accumarks are identifiable by the barrel and the type of fluting that is done on them. The Accumarks action is the same action used on the Mark 5 and is the arguably most accurate out of the box action available today. The best kept secret about the Accumark diffrences is Weatherby uses a Krieger made barrel on the Accumark and a aluminum bedded custom stock. These are custom built rifles right from the factory that properly tuned for your load will shoot the pants off anything around.

If you got an Accumark for $1200 consider it the best buy of your firearms life!
You will have the 9 lug model and most likely an Accumark (I think that is the only model that you can have a .300-.378 Wby with a composite stock).

Are they the match grade Kriegers or the Criterions?
For the last decade (or longer) all the Mark V actions have been manufactured by ATEK in Minnesota. The Accumark barrels are cut-rifled Krieger blanks. All fitting, chambering, and custom work is done by Weatherby @ their Paso Robles, CA plant.

They do make both the Accumark and the Synthetic in 30-378. The price matches up with the synthetic... not the Accumark

The info I posted supposedly came straight from Weatherby via phonecall...

I guess they could be wrong...Nobody's perfect. LOL

Plus, it was second-hand info to me...So, facts could have been off.

I know Weatherby uses Criterion for their regular Mark-V barrels, but I have been told by many folks that the Accumarks are Krieger barrel blanks. I might call Weatherby this afternoon to find out from them. I'm curious to know, myself...

Many thanks for all the responses to my question about my Weatherby. But I am still not sure what I have. As I posted yesterday, I solved the scope ring problem by calling Blackhawk, describing my problem, and they sent me everything I needed for about $150. Mounts and six screw rings that definitely keep everything in place. I have the same set up on my .338 Lapua, my Warbird chambered Sako, and my Remington Sendero in .338 ultra. (I know Remington does not make a sendero in .338 ultra, but I love senderos so much that I bought a .300 ultra, than ran it down to Benchmark barrels and had them put a .338 ultra barrel on it. Straight swap, no other work needed.)

But there is nothing that I recognize that indicates whether the rifle is an Accumark or just a Mark V. I bought the gun about nine months ago. It has a 26" barrel with the brake adding another 2". The barrel is stainless, fluted to within about 4" of the end, and the flutes are painted black. It has a full length aluminum bedding block, and the action has been bedded using , I assume, an epoxy in a couple of small spots that apparently needed something to make a perfect fit. The barrel is free floated, but aside from the caliber warning on the side, the only mark on it is a tiny "w" stamped near the action end on the bottom.

The stock is a composite, black with white spiderwebbing. It has a decelerator butt pad.

The action is marked "Mark V" but does not say ACCUMARK.

That is about all the info I can supply, so if any of that tells anyone anything definitive , let me know. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.