Weatherby Question

C.O. Shooter

I am trying to see if this is remotely possible! Would the bolt from a MKV 240 WBY Mag be interchangeable with a MKV 270 WBY Mag? I understand the bolt faces are different, however, I am trying to find out if the rest of the bolt is the same? The 240 WBY has the same bolt face as the 30-06 family and looking to construct a 6.5 Creedmoor! Trying for something different here! Thank you

I am trying to see if this is remotely possible! Would the bolt from a MKV 240 WBY Mag be interchangeable with a MKV 270 WBY Mag? I understand the bolt faces are different, however, I am trying to find out if the rest of the bolt is the same? The 240 WBY has the same bolt face as the 30-06 family and looking to construct a 6.5 Creedmoor! Trying for something different here! Thank you

So if Im understanding the question, your wondering if a long action bolt with an aprox. 473 bolt face will fit in place of a long action blot with an aprox. 530 bolt face, on the same action? (ie. Is it the same o.d. on the bolt with different bolt face?) I'm asuming the 240 Wby with a 2.500 case length is on the same Wby long action as the 270 Wby with a 2.549 case length. Forgive me for asuming, but I don't know, so I'm making an educated guess that a Wby long action would be a Wby long action, reguardless of bolt face diameter.
J.E. Custom posted a bolt "face" diameter in the gunsmithing section. It's a "sticky" at the very top, but I don't know if that post would help at all in this case. I dunno, I haven't read it in a while.
Looks like you gain in case volume with the Wby case over the -06 case, but my load book doesn't have any data on the Creedmore, so I'm in the dark on that cartrige.
Sorry I wasn't much help.
Good luck on your build!

Last edited:
Well if I am figuring this right, the 240 Weatherby Mag is a long action with a bolt face .DIA of .470 +/- The 6.5 Creedmoor has a bolt face of .473! Therefore this should work if the WBY bolt is the same OD! So I wonder how hard it would be to acquire a 240 WBY bolt? Or can I just replace the face? lightbulb

Further assuming that all of the above is correct...
and, even if they were both made in the same factory within the same year...

Then, the bolt still needs to be fit properly to the reciever which might be a tad more difficult on a Weatherby than a Remington.

To answer your question, it seems plausible.

Acquiring a bolt w/o the reciever may be equally challenging. I'd think you could more easily sell or trade your rifle for a 240.

-- richard

Well according to Weatherby, the MKV 240 9 lug bolt will fit in the MKV 270 Action. There tech support said I would need the 240 follower and magazine well! So now where do I find a 9 lug 240 bolt?

Well according to Weatherby, the MKV 240 9 lug bolt will fit in the MKV 270 Action. There tech support said I would need the 240 follower and magazine well! So now where do I find a 9 lug 240 bolt?

Well you'll probably have to buy it from Weatherby for starters. In doubt that anybody does an aftermarket one as it's a bear to machine right. Then I also doubt they'll sell you one outright, and you'll have to get a gunsmith to order it for you. The rest is easy after that.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.