Weatherby Mark V

ColonialBuff

I have a line on a used Weatherby Mark V in 338 Win Mag. Since I have never worked with a Weatherby, what do I look for to make sure I am not getting stuck? Are these guns normally accurate? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have a .300 WBY on a WBY MK V action and these guns are not normally the most accurate guns around but mine shoots OK. I personally would buy a Remington Sendero or something of that nature over a WBY but that is jusy my opinion.

For that price it is hard to justify buying a less accurate gun.

Are you sure it is a 338 Winchester magnum in a Mark V.

Could it be a 340Wby or a 338 Wby instead?

Chief thing to do is to take it to a gunsmith and have it borescoped to check the throat before buying it. In any of the calibers it is possible to burn the throat out quickly but with the 338Wby mag it could probably be done with one box of shells if the person let it get real hot.

Borescoping cost about $40 and if the person will not agree then don't buy it.

One common problem with large capapcity cases is there is a lot of powder bieng burned and it will build up and if a person doesn't clean out the throat then the gun will not shoot and they will try to sell it cheap. Sometimes you can get a great deal on a great shooting gun that just has a dirty barrel.

I think Kirby once ventured a guess on the number of guns that just needed cleaning and I think Speedy Gonzales has an estimate on his website, so it is very common. Burned throat on Wby barrels has to be common also. Borescope it to be sure what you are buying.

A 338 Win mag is a popular caliber and is not known to be rough on barrels. A Mark 5 is an excellent piece and is known for it's strength and guaranteed accuracy no matter who the owner is or how old it is. Remington has no such assurance. The Mark 5 trigger is second to none for an out of the box trigger. All of my Mark 5's shoot sub 1" groups and the triggers were easy to adjust to under 1 1/2 pounds as they come. To go less than a pound a different spring is in order. Which model rifle is it in?

Unless you overpay for it by a large amount you can rest assured you will never be stuck with it. Weatherby Mark 5's always have excellent resale value. With a broken stock and a bent barrel I would give you $400 for it. Even at that price I would be ripping you off.

I thought the MKV line was all Weatherby calibers, not std .
I 've got a broke weatherby stock thats missing the action and bbl....how much can I get for that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a Weatherby Mark V Accumark in 300 Win Mag so I know they do other cartridges besides only Weatherby's. Mine will shoot sub moa when I do my part.
Wayne aka WAMBO

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments. I did buy the rifle and it is a Mark V Sporter in 338 Winchester.

A few years back Weatherby offered wooden stocked rilfes in non-Weatherby calibres. Now look at me acting like I know what I am talking about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I only found out right before I purchased the rifle because another one was for sale on an internet site and the seller was kind enough to post a very complete description.

Since my dealer also has rife, trap, clays, and handgun ranges, I used the 100 yard range to try it out. While the gun is around 1 1/4" in factory ammo, my take is good handloads will act like a that group shrinker spray one gun writer listed as potential Christmas present. I wonder if one of those action tune jobs really will help or is a McMillan stock offered by Weatherby my best bet. My goal is a good shooting hunting rifle. My expection is a maximum range of 400 yards. (A man's godda do what a man's godda do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.