Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight

cornstalker

Would like to get some feedback on this rifle. The price tag is fairly steep for not being a custom.

I have been considering this gun in a .257 Weatherby for a high country rifle, but wonder if it would be better just to build.

Anybody have some experiences to share?

Ithought I saw one in the classified section, they have a very light barrel contuor.Im going to put a light stock on my Vanguard and get the same weight one of these days.

Had one in a 25-06 24" barrel after I free floated it and did some load development I got the sierra 117 prohunter to shoot into 1/2". The trigger was not like my jewel triggers, I was going to replace it but ended up trading it. One of the dumbest things I've ever done. Get a little misty eyed when I think about that rifle. I thought it was a awesome gun.

What are you going to be hunting? Browning has tit. offerings that I think are under 6 #'s, I looked at a 325 WSM, SIMILAR PRICE

Muley's would be the primary quarry. Maybe a sheep every 50 years or so, when I could draw a tag.

I have a Browning A-bolt Micro in .284 Win now, just looking for something a tad zippier. May even consider a .270 WSM.

Mainly wanted some real world feedback on the Weatherby to know if it's worth $1500.

Mainly wanted some real world feedback on the Weatherby to know if it's worth $1500.

I have owned two in 270 Weatherby Mag with 26" tubes. They are light, shoulder quick and feel great to me. But in my opinion they are a limited range rifle and not a good group shooter. The very light contour fluted barrel heats up quick especially with the charge from the Weatherby calibers. Both of mine were 1 1/2" @ 100 yards three shot groupers at best. If you are looking for a rifle to shoot to 300 yards or less this would be it, and the .257 wby is an awesome round. But if shots are going to exceed this distance go for an accumark. When you need to make that 500 yard plus shot you will be glad you were packing that few extra pounds.

You should be able to pick up a very nice used ULW for $1100 or less. I sold both of mine for $1050 ea.

Jeff

I picked up a NIB 300 Wby Ultra Lightweight off of gunbroker last year for $1100. Mine is a shooter and I haven't done anything to it other then working on the factor trigger. I would certainly recommend it for a high mountain hunt and you wanted something you could pack all day.

Having said that, I did put a muzzle break on mine, the recoil was a little too fierce for that caliber being in a lighter weight platform.

Regardless of what others say, I like the Mark V weatherby rifles and all of mine are shooters.

those guns are made requiring 60 lbs torque on forearm screw to pull the barrel down into the forearm tip resulting in a slight barrel bend. i couldnt get my 300 wby mag to shoot at all rigged free=floated. ditched it. i wonder how it would have done holding on target if there was a lt of up force applied to forearm on long shots with a harris bipod.

those guns are made requiring 60 lbs torque on forearm screw to pull the barrel down into the forearm tip resulting in a slight barrel bend. i couldnt get my 300 wby mag to shoot at all rigged free=floated. ditched it. i wonder how it would have done holding on target if there was a lt of up force applied to forearm on long shots with a harris bipod.

My Dad's 7mm Wby ULW has been bedded and freefloated.
He took antelope at 512 and 800+ yards last year, so I don't think that the pressure points on the Weatherbys are mandatory for good results. Each rifle of any brand will vary.

IMG_5452.jpg

mine is a vanguard, so it is not there premium action. Then if you want to restock to cut weight it starts pushing same price. I have seen several used and floated, mine is floated by me 257WM

dr, the best i could get with action/barrel elevated was 3-4 in at 100. now, you make me wish i would have had it bedded. i sure wish i had it back. it had great balance, compared to mt 300 rum. dr rc

I would look for a used one but I have one in 270 wby and it shoots less than a inch at 100 yards.Great guy.

Ralph has a point , torque spec's important. Most manufactures rarely supply you with that info. I've heard Weatherby's are touchy about that forward pressure point . Sounds like if one does free float - bedding is a must and best do it right. I don't try to shoot groups with big calibers . Rocks make great targets.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.