Weatherby Mark V pressure ??????

300winnie

I have a .257 Weatherby Magnum in a Mark V Deluxe that I have tried and tried to get to shoot consistently. Just when I think I have things looking promising...it goes to frustration in a hurry. I went shooting last week and a load that showed promise (more than once) went to hell. A load that had been a pretty good load in the past shot like crap. I blamed it on the fouling in the gun (less than 20 rounds) and decided I was done playing this game...the gun was going up for sale to be replaced by something more accurate.

Well, I got to thinking today about the barrel and the barrel channel. From what I understand the Mark V's in wood stocks, the barrel should be free of touching the barrel channel except for the pressure pad towards the end of the forearm. I decided to see what I had going and got a dollar bill and tested for float in front of the pressure pad...looked and felt fine. As expected I was stopped at the pressure pad. I couldn't get anything to go through the gap behind the pressure pad so I unscrewed the barreled action from the stock, inserted my dollar bill and put things back together. I couldn't even wiggle the dollar bill. On top of that I noticed that the bluing is worn on both sides of the barrel from apparently "riding" the stock.

I am guessing that I need to relieve this pressure if I expect things to get better. I have no intention of removing the pressure pad...at least at this point. Am I thinking correctly? If I am, how far back towards the action do I relieve this pressure? Do I go clear back to where the barrel meets the action, or do I stop short (front of the chamber)?

Any ideas and help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tip pressure

All the factory Weatherbys I have had responded well to
some tip pressure .but it sounds like you have to much.

All your looking for is enough to dampen the barrel.

I tune mine by removing the tip pressure pad.Then
replace the sling swivel stud with a longer screw ( you may have
to drill through the stock into the barrel channel with a
small bit and then go inside with a larger drill to clear the
threads.

Turn the screw in until it touches the barrel and shoot a 3 round
group then after cleaning and cooling advance the screw 1/4 turn
and repeat the process.the groups should get better as you go but
at some point they will fall off.when you reach the sweet spot lock
down the screw,take the barrel out of the stock,apply bedding
compound in the area of the pressure pad and reinstall the barrel
and allow 2 or 3 days to cure .once cured remove the long screw
and replace with the sling swivel stud .and go shooting.

Bye the way the barrel does need to be floated (Clear every where
except bedded pressure pad.

Fouling may be part of the problem so clean the barrel well before
starting this process and clean every 3 to 5 shots.

I hope this works as well for you as it has for me.

Good luck
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.