Weatherby Accumark vs. Ultra lightweight?

sport22

Hello fellow hunters over there. Swedish member posting...
I see weatherby have re-introduced two left hand rifles for 2006 and I am thinking of buying one.
The models are the Accumark at 8 3/4 lbs with a 26" barrel .705" muzzle diameter and the Ultra lightweight at 6 3/4 lbs with a 26" barrel .583" muzzle diameter.
So to my questions:
Do you think choosing the Ultra lightweight is a step down in accuracy because of the thinner barrel?
I have tried searching for reviews about the ultra lightweights accuracy but havent really found that much on the net.
Do you think the Ultra lightweight in 300 wby mag will be too much of a recoil to handle? It is awailable with a accubrake/compansator so I dont think that will be a problem if I choose to put that on the rifle.
Thanks, cheers

This question was my first post on this forum

Here is the thread and here is what the guy said after he bought the gun.

300wby

[ QUOTE ]
Back to the .300Wby. I started testing the .300Wby and with factory 165gr ammo it shot 1.5 groups at 100yds. Just within the guarantee. I tried some hand loads next. I finally settled on MRP-84.5gr with 200gr Nosler Accubonds. This gave me .875 3 shot groups @ 100yds. Not the tightest but it should hit the kill zone on any elk. I tried 180gr bullets of various makes and it definately likes the 200gr bullets better. Each barrel has its own frequency, so they won't all shoot the same.
I shoot from a home made gun vise that takes the recoil of the rifle off my shoulder. I do this to take myself out of the accuracey equation.
Just for kicks I shot it out of the vise, on my shoulder. I wasn't sure how hard it would kick so I held on tight. At the shot, the scope came up and touched my eyebrow. It didn't hit but just made contact. Man this thing kicks so much harder than my .257wby or my .270wby. I should have got the Accumark. Oh well, now I am looking to put a muzzle brake on it. I feel I need it to be able to shoot it comfortably. Normally when I shoot, I use a rest and hold the rifle very lightly and just let it surprise me as I gently squeeze the trigger. The surprise factor with this rifle is great. It surprises the hell out of me every time. I decided on having the SG&Y 11 deg. brake put on. It is supposed to reduce recoil by 60-65% and the muzzle blast is angled slightly forward to save your eardrums.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im new to the longer range shooting but am I missing something here where they are only getting 1.5" groups at 100 yards? I dont really know alot about grouping and expectations but this seems like its a pretty poor result?

I dont know what this would measure here in this photo but it is a Savage 10 .308 out of the box at 100 yards. I would expect a more expensive and flatter shooting caliber would be even better than this?

Your pictures are too large for LRH

This question was my first post on this forum

Here is the thread and here is what the guy said after he bought the gun.

300wby

[ QUOTE ]
Back to the .300Wby. I started testing the .300Wby and with factory 165gr ammo it shot 1.5 groups at 100yds. Just within the guarantee. I tried some hand loads next. I finally settled on MRP-84.5gr with 200gr Nosler Accubonds. This gave me .875 3 shot groups @ 100yds. Not the tightest but it should hit the kill zone on any elk. I tried 180gr bullets of various makes and it definately likes the 200gr bullets better. Each barrel has its own frequency, so they won't all shoot the same.
I shoot from a home made gun vise that takes the recoil of the rifle off my shoulder. I do this to take myself out of the accuracey equation.
Just for kicks I shot it out of the vise, on my shoulder. I wasn't sure how hard it would kick so I held on tight. At the shot, the scope came up and touched my eyebrow. It didn't hit but just made contact. Man this thing kicks so much harder than my .257wby or my .270wby. I should have got the Accumark. Oh well, now I am looking to put a muzzle brake on it. I feel I need it to be able to shoot it comfortably. Normally when I shoot, I use a rest and hold the rifle very lightly and just let it surprise me as I gently squeeze the trigger. The surprise factor with this rifle is great. It surprises the hell out of me every time. I decided on having the SG&Y 11 deg. brake put on. It is supposed to reduce recoil by 60-65% and the muzzle blast is angled slightly forward to save your eardrums.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello fellow hunters over there. Swedish member posting...
I see weatherby have re-introduced two left hand rifles for 2006 and I am thinking of buying one.
The models are the Accumark at 8 3/4 lbs with a 26" barrel .705" muzzle diameter and the Ultra lightweight at 6 3/4 lbs with a 26" barrel .583" muzzle diameter.
So to my questions:
Do you think choosing the Ultra lightweight is a step down in accuracy because of the thinner barrel?
I have tried searching for reviews about the ultra lightweights accuracy but havent really found that much on the net.
Do you think the Ultra lightweight in 300 wby mag will be too much of a recoil to handle? It is awailable with a accubrake/compansator so I dont think that will be a problem if I choose to put that on the rifle.
Thanks, cheers
Bob is correct. Without a good muzzle brake a light weight 300wby is going to pound on you pretty good.

The accumark comes with an accuracy guarantee that's hard to beat I'm not sure that would be the case with the ultra light much less one modified with a muzzle brake so I'd certainly look into that before shelling out that much cash.

Great caliber to shoot though with performance between the 300wm and 300 Rum.

I have three 300 Rums and I promise you that none of them were a pleasure to shoot without a brake be it the 7lbs Winchester or the two Remington Senderos which are very similar in weight to the accumark.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.