Weatherby Accumark Fluted Barrels

The Real McCoy

How does Weatherby get their flutes black? I think these are the best looking factory gun out there and would like to try something similar when I build a rifle.

Not sure how they do it but once upone a time I built a Sako with a fluted Obermeyer barrel and I painted the flutes black. I just scuffed them realy well with 100 grit sand paper , cleaned the hell out of it with MEK and sprayed them black with Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II after it was dry I spun the barrel in a lathe and polished the OD which leaves the flutes untouched

The Real McCoy,
I've just had this process done,it is an oxide coating that uses a secret process to 'plasma' coat stainless.An oxide is 'sprayed' with the plasma arc which turns the stainles black.
I can't go into more detail , because the company was very secretive about the process , that's all they would tell me , or my gunsmith.
This was done here in Australia , there's only 2 places that can do it here , but they're both US owned , so you probably have more options than I , over there.
I am impressed with how well it comes out , I would recommend it to anyone that's doing a custom stainless rifle.
By the way , they can also do a matte grey finish as well , it looks like sand blasting , but isn't!
Hope this helps!
MagnumManiac
gun)

Hart did mine for me. After the barrel was complete they teflon coated it then did final polish on the OD leaving the flutes black. Could also use duracoat, ceracoat, etc...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.