We have Coppermelt back!

[ QUOTE ]
I have learned you usually get what you pay for-especially when it comes to this sport.

Like to make a friendly wager?
I'll bet you can clean a 50 just as fast with Coppermelt as you can with that cancer causing toilet bowl cleaner you are using. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Did I just say that!?
B1g b0re and I are friends so we can tease each other a little right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The chemists I'm working with don't put it as nicely as you. 26 deg Baume Ammonia is exceptionally deadly. When I tell them it's already a wide practice in the 50 community they mutter something I can't quite comprehend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The chemists want me to discourage using it for all the safety reasons, but folks who play with 50's are usually not safty-crats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Aside from the fact you don't need a federal permit for coppermelt, don't need a space suit to apply it, don't need to evacuate the neighborhood if you spill a few drops, strong Ammonia is pretty good stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Took the stuff and cleaned four guns I had cleaned with Butchs and Sweets to check to see if they were really clean. They were clean so the stuff did nothing. Normal cleaning time for two guns is about six to eight hours.
Pulled out a gun I had been givien by its origianl owner because it wouldn't shoot and I had tried to make it shoot decent groups an had also failed. Gun had been cleaned for five minutes four years ago and put away. First coppermelt patch came out with a dump truck load of crud. Second was less and by the third we were making good progress. Patch four and we were done. Gun probably still won't shot but it is now clean with five minutes of work. Stuff does what it has been said to do.

Based upon someone elses recommendation in another thread I took a six inch long piece of 2X4 and drilled a 1.5 inch hole nearly through and a 5/8 inch hole nearly through. Bottle goes in big hole and pipette goes in smaller hole bulb down when cleaning guns. Took a 10 package crystal light container and bottle and pipette store in it with a downside that it does not have a screw cap but as long as it just sits on a shelf it does not matter.

Thanks again for the heads up. I ordered it week before last and in anticipation of it's arrival I stacked up the rifles which were next on the list for cleaning. Then got everything ready in the shop. The stuff arrived and I was elated. That evening we headed to every danged place in town tryin to find a nylon brush of any sort much less one with aluminum wire and head on it. NOTHING anywhere.

Man, I had to stick around the house this weekend due to being on call and had planned on getting in some over due maintenance and possibly even work on some loads. Now it will be the 12th before I can fire up on this stuff. The wait is liable to be more than I can take. LOL

Oh well, I had several surf rods that needed to be addressed anyway so that should keep me pacified until things get here. IT wasn't too bad cause I also slipped in several boxes of bullets I been wanting to try out.

Hope you all have a great and safe weekend.

I just used this stuff today. Wifes gun cleaned up within three patches from last season probably 50 rounds down the tube not even a wet oiled patch was put through it before hanging it up and wow is all I can say.

Re: We have Coppermelt back! KNOT?

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> My local gunshop recieved their newest shipment of Coppermelt! </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm about to test copper cleaners and wanted to include CopperMissSpelt but the Web site never works. Is there any way to contact the manufacture?

TheRifleStore did a test but did not include copperMelt.

I don't consider his test result valid. Ammonia needs Oxygen to react (dissolve) Copper - so a foaming cleaner would do (relatively) better than Ammonium Hydroxide in the immersion test - far different than the swabbing test (swabbing the barrel with a cleaning patch) - as the swabbing approach is not limited by Oxygen dissolving into the solution.

His test is simple - I'm not sure I can get my barrels to copper foul consistently (they are all too new).

The chemists I'm working with also want to know the mystery ingredient in copperMelt that dissolves copper (as they work in the billion dollar ammoniacal etching industry).

Perhaps the manufacture could shed some light on these questions.

[ QUOTE ]
The chemists I'm working with also want to know the mystery ingredient in copperMelt that dissolves copper (as they work in the billion dollar ammoniacal etching industry).

[/ QUOTE ]

And people have been studying how to change lead into gold too. The mystery soultion is no doubt a trade secret.
So your chemist friends can make more millions and billions I wouldnt give up my secret if it showed it was in high demand.
It worked for me and the gun was clean, dont particularly care whats in it if it works.

I thought this was a family site? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.