Wby mk 5

Glad that you are getting your problem resolved I had a friend Ray that his wife bought him a 30/378 for a birthday present and it would not shoot 2" at 100 yds. he didn't get his problem fixed but he may not have known the proper folks to contact? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sniper 2 ,

I am sorry to report that Weatherby has declined to do anything about the problems with this rifle . They told the gunsmith/Wby service center that " it is within their specs".

They also told him that I would have to sign a release of liability waiver before they would return the rifle because it has a 1.5 # trigger pull .

The NXS 5.5x22 x56 scope on it has 30 moa right and 30 moa left of center . It takes all the windage on one side to align the bore with the scope. This is within Weatherby "specs " evidently.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news , more sorry still for Scott, it's his rifle .

BB, reckon Clay Spencer can work this one in ? Soon as Kirby finishes Scotts Lazz warbird , this one is got to go to a hospital somewhere . Scott doesn't want to sell it because he would be passing on a problem and wouldn't feel right about it .

Jim B.

Well, all I can say is I have been looking at Wby's little single shot pistol but if they are going to act that way I will just keep looking and it will be elsewhere. I would be more irratated by the release of liability than anything else. Of course Ford is the same way, if you put on their racing parts which they guarantee they will not service your car even when it is the dealers own parts department that sold you the parts.

Jimm,

I'm trying to get out to go shooting but I wanted to leave you with something before I go. If she says it's good then sign the release and get the rifle back. At least they will let you keep the trigger. Most other manufactures will toss your parts and charge you to put it back to factory.

You never have mentioned what rifle this is or the caliber. Is it the full blown Accumark or the Light weight? Does it have a brake on it? The reason I ask is you still have a couple good clean options to straighten this out but they depend on the info above. Both rifles will shoot. I'm just looking for the amount of expected recoil.

Now to track down the problem. I would treat this the same way even if Kirby just said it was fine. Being this is a big one it should be easy to find. The first thing I would check right off and I know it's not likely but when you optically center the NF, is it truly centered? You can knock this one out while your waiting for the rifle to get back. You will need to make up a set of V-blocks that you can set the scope on and watch the crosshairs for run out at 100 yards. Once it's truly centered where does the windage adjustment end up on the 60 minutes of adjustment? If the scope is not internally centered the above options will fix that too.

Just out of curiosity did you guys actually shoot the gun or was this based on a bore sight tool? It doesn't really matter but it just came to mind.

30 minutes out of whack, you should be able to see that one. That is a lot of misalignment. I would double check the receiver with a good straight edged yard stick. I have a nice 4' dry wall square that is very straight. I would take the bases off and then put all four screws in and have someone else push the yardstick up against the screws. The end of the straight edge should be centered over the muzzle off to the side by the amount of half the screw heads. 30 minutes would be sticking out the side near an inch at 26". If it is off I would be back on the phone with Teresa if need be with pictures. I wish you lived closer. I could have you straight shooting in no time.

Let us know what you find out. I have to git before the wind picks up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Shawn

BB,

Thanks for the support ! Go on and get that pistol . Everyones experience with companies in matters like this are different . Why wouldn't they be as we are dealing with PEOPLE and their / our everyday whims and changes / problems .

This is a small thing and because of it Scott may end up with a rifle that will perform in a way that the stock WBY never could have ( think you can talk Kirby into working on just /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif one WBY ? )

I would not want anyone that wants to shoot a WBY to not buy one because of my/ Scotts exp. As I said , it's different for everyone ..

Still waiting on the release Hired Gun . I will sign and return it . Need to get Scotts rifle back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif . I appreciate your enthusiasm in this problem , but I must tell you that I used all the means you suggested to define this problem before I let the rifle out of my sweaty hands.

Lemons are a fact of life , doesn't mean that one shouldn't buy one of whatever that has had a lemon .

Thanks all for your input and thanks for listening to a whinnie baby carrying on about a rifle that is not even mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ( imagine how bad it would be)

Jim B.

This is my first post and I joined the site today.
I have been searching the net on this very topic for the last year. I feel like I just got back from Iraq and finally I have found someone that knows what I have been through.
My short story with Weatherby is:
I am a Weatherby Dealer. gave myself a gift last year for having a good year. SBGM 300Wby. Shot 5 inch group with everything you put in the pipe. Wby said this was in spect. I requested a replacement from teresa. Got one after much debate. Now called Ultralight, it shoots like crap too. Sent it to Superior Ammunition and $600 later it shoots .75 at 100 yd. If I load 1/2 a grain different it goes crazy again. Superior found the bedding was not even and I added a timney trigger. Never again will I buy or sell a weatherby product. I sell over 3000 guns a year and not one will be a weatherby ever again. The only company I have found that can equal weatherby's product is Kimber Rifles. Dont get me started on them....The good guys out there...SAKO, TIKKA, Remington, HS

My Accumarks are really coming around. My two that are skim bedded are now consistantly in the 2's. Hard to believe the difference shooting off one of those folding camp tables have made compared to the single point rest I was using in the window of my van. The only thing that didn't come with my rifles out of the box was a spoonfull of Marine Tex. Watch soon for the results of bedding my 3rd Accumark. All 3 clean up in 5 patches. 3 wet with Wipeout primer. Soak overnight in Wipeout and two to dry that out. I was trying to burn these out so I could have Kirby rebarrel them but I'm going to hold off on that awhile. I want to try the table a long range. Too bad you won't be selling any more Weatherby's. That's the only brand I will ever buy again. I'm trying to make up for the 24 yeers I went without. I'm stll tweeked at all the so called experts that warned me off of them.

I had an Accumark .30-378 w/Swarovski 6x24x50PH I put up for sale on this board and got no response; I think I asked $2200. Took it to a gun show last weekend and before I got in the door 20 feet I had 5 guys fighting over it and throwing hundred dollar bills at me (a new experiance for me). Try to guess what I got for it? Well, I bought a Weatherby Sub MOA .22-250, a Leupold VX III 8.5x25x40 to go on it and an IOR 6x24x50 to go on the rifle I got Kirby building me. I'm certainly glad some people appreciate Weatherby rifles; actually the scope was worth far more than the rifle. I think I did OK.

I saw that 30-378 and thought about it... that is the cal. that keeps me up at night. I think we all have a cal. that keeps us up at night. However, H&S is in that dream building my 30-378.

I have a 300 in the Jap. Mark V deluxe. The holes are drilled out of line with the bore bad enough that A regular leupold scope still needsd more than 9 moa windage to just get zeroed. I used burris signature rings with the off-set inserts to zero the rifle...seemed like a decent fix if you don't mind that style of ring opposed to a cross-slot weaver style.

This thread is not dying a decent death .....................now I see why . Andy , don't get another one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif . I am beginning to think that the WBY bunch has not " rezeroed their manufacturing specs in a while.

Jim B.

p.s. someone send this to " Teresa " for the rest of us ?

I just purchased my 3rd Weatherby in 7STW.
1. Is a Jap Lazermark in .257 shoot <3/4" 3 shoot groups all day long at 200.(well after it goes cold after the 3 shot groups #1 barrel contour). Needed bedding and pressure point redone and it was from the custom shop.
2. A Lightweight in .257 this was a bear for barrel break in. Redid bedding and it shoots identical to the Lazermark, ist and 2nd shot on top of each other the 3rd just outside at 10:00. Both .257's love the 115 Bal Tip. The Jap is faster even though 2" shorter barrel.
3. The 7STW in Accumark. Barrel breakin was less than 20 rounds if you can believe it. I have shot .2's with this rifle 7828 and the Barnes XXX 160 at 200 yrds 3350 fps (3 shot groups) The only thing I have done to this rifle is adjust trigger @ touched-up high factory bedding spots. Afraid to fully rebed the way its shooting.

My Accumark scope-base holes were spot-on in line with the bore. I barely made any windage correction when I boresighted, and moved it back when I got to the range. I'm essentially using the mechanical center of my scope adjustment.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.