Wby mk 5

Jimm

I am still thinking of a proper derogatory name for this overpriced , non performing .......aagghhh!

The desire to resort to the base curseonolgy is strong . But . it is not adequate to describe what is going on .

The bbl alignment with the base alignment is so bad that it takes all the windage at 25 yds to put the crosshairs on the bull . This is so wrong !

It used to be that you get what you pay for, that is no longer so .

Weatherbys are in that category ! I did not buy it but a bud did so I am just as hacked for him!

Jim B.

I have never heard of the mount holes being out of whack on a Mark 5. Loosen the bases back up and move them the direction you need and tighten them back up to 20 inch pounds. If that doesn't do it Weatherby will fix or replace it. Out of the box with the scope optically centered they are usually less than 2" off at 100 yards. What mounts are you using? What else is there to complain about? I think if you give it half a chance it will surprise you. What model and caliber is it?

[ QUOTE ]
Jon A

Thanks. I don't argue with people on the forum. I just say what I have to say and go on. I have built and used BDCs. People who haven't can say whatever they want to say.

BDC is an old technology, it works.

All that said I have three scopes with target turrets.

I didn't really realize anyone was giving me a bad time. People like to bash BDCs and Weatherbys a lot. It seems to pass for entertainment here. Other days people discuss whether one should shoot game animals with Sierra Match Kings. Then if that gets boring just say "Schmidt and Bender" real loud.

Have a nice day

[/ QUOTE ]

"I have never heard of the mount holes being out of whack on a Mark 5."

You can't say that anymore .

It is a Wby mk5 ,fluted ss bbl , Leupold two piece turn in bases and rings . I turned the front base around to see if it was in the bases . It was exactly the same ( way to go Leupold )

As far as Weatherby fixing it ...............are you sure ? how long ? do I need the barcode that came with it 7 years ago ?original receipt , box?,..........I am sorry , but I have been in this place too many times only to be told that I did not have / meet some criteria .............and that gets old ,tiring , maddening /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

As far as giving it half a chance , you really don't want to know what " chances " I have given it .

My plan is to continue on until this rifle shoots half moa or less , whatever it takes ( new bbl / action truing is next on the list ) .

Bad thing is , it would be a lot less expensive to sell this rig ( but what do you tell those that are interested in buying ? ) and build another . That is not an option as My friend Scott does not sell guns . He only buys them .

I realize that any manufacturer on the planet can produce a " lemon " . My oldest son works for Mercedes Benz , sheesh what a mess !
Thing is with an upscale rifle like WBY one should have a serious Quality Control section standing between them and what I have experienced .

Jim B.

Here is the info on the "authorized Weahterby Service Center in Arkansas. It has their email address

Give them a ringy dingy ding and see what they have to say for themselves.

ARKANSAS

Macks Sport Shop
2335 Hwy 63 North
Stuttgart, AR 72160
Ph # 800-229-0296 Ext #1311
Fax # 870-673-9155
[email protected]

service centers

[ QUOTE ]
As far as giving it half a chance , you really don't want to know what " chances " I have given it .

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!

Yes you can get a lemon with any company, but I personal have had 2 wbys that I gave chance after chance after chance. After spend major amounts of $$ and several months each trying to any load to shoot good more than once, well it never happened. Give me a remington and it will be shooting clover leave groups in less than a day, all day every day. OKAY, thats a bit of a stretch, but 1/2 MOA or less.

Forget the Email approach. There is only one name you need to know about Weatherby warranty support. Teresa. Talk nice to her and put your trust in her and your worries are over. She is very fair but if you cop an attitude or badmouth the product and it is possible a stone wall will go up. A service center is not where it needs to go. They will most likely need to swap out the receiver and you will be in for a long wait. First you wait 3 weeks before they even look at it. Then they order parts which they will get in a week. Then you wait another 3 to 4 weeks before he puts it together. To me this is not acceptable. They usually have everything in stock in California so something like this should be back to you in 2 weeks depending on how busy they are.

The main thing about warranty eligibility is it needs to be in original condition. If it has been trued or bedded or in any way monkeyed with, the deal is off. They usually don't care if you are the original owner or how old it is. I would not volunteer this info though. You bought it and it is yours is the main point. If it has a defect in materials or workmanship it gets fixed. I have seen them rebarrel, refinish 40 year old stocks, re-bed and do trigger jobs all for no charge.

Weatherby Customer Service representatives (ask for Teresa) are available to assist you Monday through Thursday 6 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (PST) at (805) 466-1767. If she is not available leave a message for her and she will call you back. If she says to send it to a service center then do it but I would request for them to see it in Atascadero Ca.

At least at Weatherby you get to deal with one person. Have you ever tried to get a Remington warranted? Now that would be easier to just sell and start over.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever tried to get a Remington warranted?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, no. I think that is the point.

I just experienced the same problem with a new Rem 700 LSS in 300 RUM. Using Leupold double dovetail rings/mounts, the rifle shot 4" to the right @ 50yds even with the Leupold 3.5x10 windage adjusted to the extreme.

I changed the double dovetail set-up for the standard set with a windage adjustable rear base. This easily corrected the 100yd zero problem but it makes me wonder if the scope is properly centered over the bore.

[ QUOTE ]
Forget the Email approach. There is only one name you need to know about Weatherby warranty support. Teresa. Talk nice to her and put your trust in her and your worries are over. She is very fair but if you cop an attitude or badmouth the product and it is possible a stone wall will go up. A service center is not where it needs to go. They will most likely need to swap out the receiver and you will be in for a long wait. First you wait 3 weeks before they even look at it. Then they order parts which they will get in a week. Then you wait another 3 to 4 weeks before he puts it together. To me this is not acceptable. They usually have everything in stock in California so something like this should be back to you in 2 weeks depending on how busy they are.

The main thing about warranty eligibility is it needs to be in original condition. If it has been trued or bedded or in any way monkeyed with, the deal is off. They usually don't care if you are the original owner or how old it is. I would not volunteer this info though. You bought it and it is yours is the main point. If it has a defect in materials or workmanship it gets fixed. I have seen them rebarrel, refinish 40 year old stocks, re-bed and do trigger jobs all for no charge.

Weatherby Customer Service representatives (ask for Teresa) are available to assist you Monday through Thursday 6 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (PST) at (805) 466-1767. If she is not available leave a message for her and she will call you back. If she says to send it to a service center then do it but I would request for them to see it in Atascadero Ca.

At least at Weatherby you get to deal with one person. Have you ever tried to get a Remington warranted? Now that would be easier to just sell and start over.

[/ QUOTE ]
If not Teressa get ahold to Rodney I had some issues with my BRAND NEW ultra lightweight and he's doing really well taken care of me and the problem thought I'd chim in...

Are you sure it's the rifle?
A year or 2 ago I was at the range when an acquaintance was sighting in his new BAR with a new Zeiss scope. He was unable to get on the bull at 25 yards because lack of enough windage.
Turned out to be the scope. He went back home and put another scope on it and problem solved.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.