Wby Mark V ULW scope mounts

WunderDog

I have a Weatherby Ultra lightweight in 300 Wby Mag with no brake. Needless to say, it has noticeable recoil. I have a Leupold mounted on it with their standard mounts and rings (dovetail front and side screws rear). The recoil is tearing up the rear ring where the screws hold it to the base. I was hoping someone here would have a suggestion as to what bases and rings might hold up better. I am thinking a tactical type might be much better but have had trouble finding any to fit this gun. If you could let me know what might work well and where to find it, I would be greatly appreciative.

How about a dovetail ring in the front and in the rear?

I'm sure that tacticals would work great but they would look out of place on an ultralight rifle and would probably cost more than you need to spend just to correct this problem.

Take a look at the Talley rings. The one piece aluminum (two actually but an integral ring/base) would be a good fit on the ultralight, or look at their detachables. I have both on a variety of rifles including the .300 and 7mm Wby ad am pleased across the board.

Dan

Hi Wunderdog,

I have the same rifle as you. I have a Zeiss Conquest, 4.5 - 14x 44 scope, with turrets, 1" tube O.D.

I use the Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts. This allows me to adust the scope so I am using the full elevation potential of the small vertical crosshair travel in this scope. (Reticle adjusted at lowest position hits approx. 1.25" high at 100 yards) This allows me to max out at 900 yards with reticle in full up position.

As far as strength of the rings, they have not budged yet. They seem to hold firmly.

I have the Talley One piece aluminum rings on my .257Wby Light weight and those rings hold up well on that rifle, but they have no compensating adjustment like the Burris rings.

And as far as keeping the .300Wby light, I'm not interested in having it any lighter after firing several rounds. It's light enough as is.

I have thought of putting a brake on it, but hate the increased noise level. This is my mountain elk gun, I only need one shot, so one kick is ok.

See ya,
Vic

Leupold's Double Dovetail mounts are just the ticket. I have them on my 300 and they work well. Easy to find for a MK V.

Merry Christmas and Happy Shooting

Jim

WunderDog,
There's really only one answer. You need a Picatinny stlye base, and there's only one person who makes them for Weatherby Rifles. Contact Richard Near at Near Precision http://www.scopebases.com . My Mark V .300 Wby was all over the paper with Leupold bases, switched to the Near base and Badger rings (Richard wasn't making rings at that time) and now it's .5 MOA out to 400 Yds. (this isn't my longrange rig). The price is steep, but you can go this route 1st and cry once, or try all the other ring/base combinations and end up with this in the end. As has been said here before, there are hunting scope mounts and there tactical scope mounts. When you have a light rifle, heavy scope, and a lot of powder, you need to go tactical. If you decide to add a break later, you need tactical that much more.

Another note, don't let anyone tell you that a Picatinny mount for a Remington 700LA will work on your rifle, they are close, but a few thousandths off here and there, if you mount one, it won't be truely flat and you'll twist either the rail or the receiver.

Stugotz, Fairmont, huh? Born and raised in Gassaway and went to school in Morgantown. Small world, eh?
Merry Christmas and Happy Shooting
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.