Water soluble case lube problem

specweldtom

I like this stuff because of the water clean-up, but have occasionally had problems resizing .30 x .378 and .338 x .378. The radiused shoulder would push back just enough to see, but not collapse. I just figured that the double radius wasn't very strong in compression. Recently though, I resized some .30-06 cases that had been fired in a very large chamber. They literally locked up in the die about 1/2" short of where they needed to go. (body bound). I was using the Hornady spray-on lube. Just as a check, I tried some RCBS water soluble lube and they went in (and out) of the die with little more than normal force. I don't even have any of the non-water soluble anymore, but am going to get some to try again. I have been using the Hornady water soluble for years, but this is the first time that I have sized something that really loaded the press, and it wouldn't do it.

Brass fired in good chambers doesn't take much to resize, but if you're using this stuff and have some unexplained problems, try something else as a test.

I could be on the wrong track, but I don't think so.

Good shooting, Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.