Watch the warranty on power equipment

shortgrass

I bought a new Porter Cable 60gal air compressor exactly a year and a half ago. Well, the electric motor 'died' last week. I still have the receipt, so I called for warranty info, the tags say "Full 3yr. Warranty". No such luck! The warranty on the motor is only for 1yr. A replacement from them is about $325 + shipping. It'd be another "Made in China". Bought a WEG, that is made in Brazil, for $220, free shipping. At least it's made in the Western Hemisphere! Has and 1 1/2yr warranty. I guess I'll see!

Dealing with warranty stuff on my Milwaukee cordless stuff right now. They're 5 year but the serial number must be visible. Braklean and a rag will take the **** thing off a new tool... 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4" impacts along with my 1/2" drill. Only one the warranty will cover is the 1/2" impact cause I had a rubber boot on it that protected the serial number. Gonna have to pay to fix the others.

Nothing is well made any more. I have a 32 year old Craftsman 220 volt compressor still going strong. Bought a Craftsman 3 gallon pancake compressor four years ago just for emergencies I carry in my fifthwheel. Tried to air up my friend's jeep tires last hunting season and it ran but no air. Maybe I'll start getting the cheap power tools at Home Depot along with their extended warranty.

morning, ur warning is noted. on the compressor. check with WW Granger.
find a electric motor of 1/2 more hp rating. reason less resistance, cooler
running motor and easier starting. get the same shaft diameter, use the pulley off the
older motor. I did this and motor is still running fine. run the compressor
in an airy location because of generated heat. electric motors r not cheap.
I do buy electric motors from Granger. online catalog for website.
when purchasing industrial equipment. I make a habit of purchasing
larger hp motors on equipment I purchase. justme gbot tum

Take that money and put it towards a good compressor. Ingersoll-rand, Quincy, industrial air or the like. Properly maintained they will last a lifetime. I ran a small ingersoll until I got a shop and bought a 80 gallon industrial air unit and couldn't be happier. It has no problem supporting a 1" impact or my plasma.

Take that money and put it towards a good compressor. Ingersoll-rand, Quincy, industrial air or the like. Properly maintained they will last a lifetime. I ran a small ingersoll until I got a shop and bought a 80 gallon industrial air unit and couldn't be happier. It has no problem supporting a 1" impact or my plasma.
Agreed. Hard to go wrong with IR for compressors. I've got an FS Curtis on my service truck that I'm very happy with too. I guess it depends on what you're doing and how much you depend on it though. Ive got a crapsman at the house I rebuilt once and am close to needing to do again. Thinking about just using the tank and building the brackets to mount a good motor and compressor on top of it next time instead of the junk it came with.

Agreed. Hard to go wrong with IR for compressors. I've got an FS Curtis on my service truck that I'm very happy with too. I guess it depends on what you're doing and how much you depend on it though. Ive got a crapsman at the house I rebuilt once and am close to needing to do again. Thinking about just using the tank and building the brackets to mount a good motor and compressor on top of it next time instead of the junk it came with.
Even if I was homeowner/hobby shop type of guy I would want a good compressor. Maybe not as big but well built cause you only depend on it when you really need it, and when you need it you can depend on it. How about a pic of your truck? My friend that I work with has a service truck and I have the shop. Works out really well for us.

I'll shoot one off tomorrow. I guess I don't have any of it put together. Here's the welder going in. Truck isn't mine, just the tools in it. Still waiting on the company I work for to pony up for the crane. I made the switch about a year ago from supervisor to mechanic and they've drug their feet a little on outfitting the rig. Been slammed doing fab work and rebuilding drill rigs in the shop though so not having the crane hasn't held me back on a whole lot of field work yet.

Attachments

• IMG_2470.JPG
    IMG_2470.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
thanks for the hi-jack! I have no need to power 1" drive air tools. I rarely use 1/2" drive air tools. I more often need air for a small 'detail' paint gun or an air brush. I was in the farm supply today and they have Ingersoll Rand air compressors in-stock, on the sales floor. I looked them over. On the 5hp and 7.5hp models, there , as plain as day, the tag on the air pump read "Made in China". They handle 4 different models of Ingersoll Rand air compressors. 2 cylinder reciprocating air pumps and the 2 stage models, with the 60 and 80gal tanks. ALL the air pumps were labeled the same, "Made in China" (I had to look for it on the 2 stage compressors, but it was there). Both the 5 and 7.5hp models had motors made by US Motor Co., which is now a division of NIDEC, an international conglomerate that manufactures electrical components. No "place of origin" on either motor or on the NIDEC web site. They are probably manufactured in several places around the word just as Baldor and Leeson electric motors are. I will say the US Motor Co. motors had a good SF (service factor) of 1.15, verses the .7 on the piece of junk that failed me. The original point of this thread was/is, that what we thought of as a good "warranty" isn't what it once was. So......... Sell a compressor that is broke down and buy an Ingersoll Rand? You would get NOTHING for a compressor and tank with a bad motor. My opinion, you are better off 'fixing' what you've got (within reason, of course). The tank is good, the air pump works as it should, install a new and better motor.... just be ****ed about the crappy Chinese motor with a crappy warranty that came with the unit.

Yeah got a little off track on you. Sorry about that. Sad to hear that IR went Chinese with the rest of them. I think you're on the right track with picking your own pump and motor for the tank you have. Like I said, probably what I'll do on the craftsman one I have at the house when the rings wear out in the pump again. And yes, all of the warranties have enough gray areas for the manufacturers to worm their way out of it. Still waiting to hear what it's gonna cost to fix all of my cordless stuff that isn't covered under the Milwaukee 5 year warranty... I've got too much invested in it and rely on it too much though to switch to a different brand that may or may not be more reliable.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.