Was there ever a 25-08?

dwm

Was there ever a 25-08 or was the 257 Roberts the answer?

One would think a 308 case would be great for the 25 caliber.

Anyone know anything about this?

Doug

Yes Sir DWM . It was called the 25 Souper ...a 308 Winchester necked to 25 with no other changes according to Mr. P.O. Ackley . Some very old numbers give an 87 gr. Bullet 3400 FPS and 100 gr. Bulet 3150 FPS. Believe it or not , Winchester made ONE Pre-64 Model 70 in 25 Souper . I had it in my hands and saw the factory Letter documenting it .....and let it get away ! Not one of my better decisions !

25/284 has been around, so there is not much need for a 25 based on the 308 case. In my view.

Although, thinking about it, somebody has probably necked a 308 to 25 caliber, there does not have to be a good reason.

Good hunting. LB

Yes there is such a thing, but its a wildcat. Its basically a 308 necked down to .257 with no other changes. I have one on a Mauser 98 with a 22" Ashton barrel. I dont have dies or even know if its headspaced or not. I haven't shot it or anything. I just wanted it for the action pretty much, and I like .257" caliber. I just dont know if its worth making something out of it. It would be a pretty nice carry rifle though.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.