Warbird and 180gr velocities

mtmuley

What is the highest velocity any of you Warbird shooters can get from a 180 gr bullet (any variety) at your max load? mtmuley

About the same as a 30/378 Weatherby..........
thumb.gif

Hey guy ,
180 nosler accubonds , retumbo @ 105 grs ,3450 fps with great groups , minimal verticle .

Just finished this ladder test or I would post pix .

Jim B

[ QUOTE ]
Think you could get 3800 fps from a 180? mtmuley

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but the pressures would be dangerously high.....
salute.gif

My brother has one on the Sako rifle and with the old cases he could only get 3450 fps with Retumbo. With new cases his loads are averaging 3505 fps with retumbo as the cases are handling more pressure.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Think you could get 3800 fps from a 180? mtmuley

[/ QUOTE ]

The Warbird is basicaly a 30/378 Wea. with Pixie Dust.........
lol_sign.gif

In conversation with another "enthusiast" he mentioned consistent 3800 fps velocity from a Warbird. And with a load that is almost identical to one posted here. I was sceptical. I know improvements can be made to almost any cartridge through handloading, but almost 300 fps is astronomical. If this guy is even close to 3800, he is already on the ragged edge. Thanks for the response, mtmuley

Ran some loads through the chroni yesyerday. One was the 30-378 Wby, 180 gr TSX w/103 gr RL-22. 26" barrel. Avg. vel 3404 fps. Temp 80*.

[ QUOTE ]
In conversation with another "enthusiast" he mentioned consistent 3800 fps velocity from a Warbird. And with a load that is almost identical to one posted here. I was sceptical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evening MT MULEY >> If your "enthusiast" is getting velocities 3750 - 3800 fps, I would bet 10 to 1 he's using a 150 gr. bullet or lighter. From what I've seen using my Warbird, 3800 fps would be physically impossible using anything heavier. My current load uses Lazzeroni's new lot brass, 104 grs. of Retumbo and Federal 215's to break 3500 fps with a 26" barrel. I pushed it to 106 grs. during development but accuracy went to pot & velocity gain was minimal ... not to mention primer pockets being blown, rendering cases useless. And I was crunching powder. I'm not against a compressed load, but seeing what I did during development, I have a hard time believing there'd be even remotely close to enough powder capacity to fuel a 3800 / 180 claim. I could gain with a barrel length more appropiate for the relatively large powder charge (28" - 30", for instance), but with the current case quality available, I've seen nothing to suggest that 3800 fps with 180's would be realistic.

Would love to hear specifics about this "enthusiasts" load and the rifle if you can get them. After working with the Warbird for a while now, what you've reported is one of those "have to see it to believe it" kinda things, I guess. Course, I'd be standing well back from the shooter on trigger pull as it's being proven to me. LOL. Later. >> klallen

We ran my brothers Sako up as hard as we could with several powders to find the limits of this round. 3505 was the max we ever got with the 180 gr bullets and with Retumbo and only with the latest batch of brass.

H-1000 topped out at around 3425 fps, H-50BMG was limited to about the same because we ran out of case volume.

To be honest, the 7.82 Warbird is much closer to the 300 RUM in capacity then it is to the 30-378. The reason it can nearly match the 30-378 in performance is because in most cases, the Warbird case will handle more chamber pressure then the 30-378 case can in spite of its significant advantage in case capacity.

My 300 Allen Xpress which is based on the 338 Lapua case will easily match both with even less powder but this is simply because the Lapua case will handle significantly more chamber pressure then any of the chamberings mentioned.

The reason I designed my 300 AX was to offer ballistics equal to that of the 30-378 and Warbird but with brass that is MUCH better quality and to be honest, cheaper then either of these two options. Also, it is slightly shorter then the Warbird and alot shorter then the 30-378 so its easier to get into conventional length receivers.

With the warbird, I would say even in a 36" barrel you would still be limited to 3600 fps, maybe a tick more but not much more. Are you sure they were not talking about using a 150 gr bullet. I have read alot about guys using the 150s to 3700-3800 fps and the 130 gr barnes bullets to near 4000 fps. These do not cut it past 600 yards but out to that they are very flat shooting.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.