Wanting some opinions

Your 7mm mag choice is not bad but I'd go with a short action for your first gun for several reasons recoil is less don't underestimate the recoil, cost to reload is less. 6.5 creedmore, 7mm-08, 260rem or even a 308 win the 308 can easily shoot to 600 yds and even make it to 1000yds

Just an update, looking into a couple more options. Will probably end up hunting this season with rifles I already have. Me and the wife have done some talking and the budget went up quite a bit(think she would rather me spend the money to get what I want just so I'll shut up about it lol). Looking into a couple customs at this point. Also a very good possibility I'll be moving to Colorado next year so the need for an accurate lighter weight rifle is definitely there.

Last edited:
Long range shooting might not be rocket science but it takes times to be good at time, lots of practice and patience, i got and M1A when i just started and it help me alot.

Yeah I agree on the patience part. I'm comfortable taking 300 yard shots now. Bit quite a bit changes at 4-500. So trying to learn the technical aspects of it like dialing for elevation, etc.
I've considered used but then it comes back that one, I don't know how the previous owner treated their guns and two, if I'm spending that much money might as well spend a little bit more and get exactly what I want. I'm sure you can get good deals, I've just always been to nervous to actually try it

SCdeerhunter, I just come accross this thread and wondering if you bought the x bolt.

If not, i been recommending the Tikka T3 CTR in 6.5 creed or 260 Rem to friends that dont want to build a custom rifle but want 1000 yard range in a short action.

These rifles are very accurate and cost about $1050. Drop the action in a Manners stock and you got a real nice rifle for $2000.

I'd second the Tikka ctr, I've seen them for as low as $800 on various forums. also the tikkas are getting good aftermarket support. My buddy put a tikka action in a KRG chassis and uses it as his match rifle. I think you'll be happy with the Leupold, I have the one you mentioned with the wind plex and it's a very bright scope for the money. I shot my ctr with that scope at a match last weekend and had hits to almost 900, and while more magnification is nice at times, 14 is perfectly adequate. If you want to spend a little more check out the Sightron SIIIs you can find them used for 5-700 and their glass is superb.

I'd second the Tikka ctr, I've seen them for as low as $800 on various forums. also the tikkas are getting good aftermarket support. My buddy put a tikka action in a KRG chassis and uses it as his match rifle. I think you'll be happy with the Leupold, I have the one you mentioned with the wind plex and it's a very bright scope for the money. I shot my ctr with that scope at a match last weekend and had hits to almost 900, and while more magnification is nice at times, 14 is perfectly adequate. If you want to spend a little more check out the Sightron SIIIs you can find them used for 5-700 and their glass is superb.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking at different builders now for rifles. How does the sightron scopes compare to vortex? Went and put my hands on some different scopes. I really liked the vortex viper hst.

I would say the Sightron glass is better, but Vortex pst has better reticles IMO and illum if you want that. But I'd go vx3i before an hst all day for glass quality.
KRG is coming out with a new chassis this fall that might be a good fit for what you're building. Suppose to be under $500 and 3lbs including bottom metal.

I would say the Sightron glass is better, but Vortex pst has better reticles IMO and illum if you want that. But I'd go vx3i before an hst all day for glass quality.
KRG is coming out with a new chassis this fall that might be a good fit for what you're building. Suppose to be under $500 and 3lbs including bottom metal.
Yeah the reticle is kind of a selling point for me as well. My only other thought is if I get into the pst price range I'm close to a nightforce shv series scope

Yes i have a 4~14x50F1 MOAR on a AR.
Glass is excellent. Same glass as a NXS is my understanding.
Only 10MOA of elevation per round with elevation turrent. So far the elevatio has tracked flawlessly. It does have capped windage, so that a plus to me.
Good all around scope for the money.

Yes i have a 4~14x50F1 MOAR on a AR.
Glass is excellent. Same glass as a NXS is my understanding.
Only 10MOA of elevation per round with elevation turrent. So far the elevatio has tracked flawlessly. It does have capped windage, so that a plus to me.
Good all around scope for the money.
Good deal, I'll check them out. I just put a deposit on a rifle from accurate ordinance. It's a Stiller action, Rock Creek varmint contour barrel chambered in 6.5 creedmoor, sitting in a grayboe renegade stock. I think I'm gonna be pretty happy with it. I'll let you guys know in a couple months how it shoots

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.