WANTED: 7mm STW

huntokanogan

Looking to buy a Remington model 700 or one of those elusive Savage m 116 fhsak chambered in a 7mm STW. Older Sendero in same chambering as well. Will pretty much consider any 7STW out there. If anyone has or knows of one please let me know. I just don't want a custom rifle that costs thousands of dollars. I own a rem. 700 8mm mag. Having the two calibers would be nice since I only need one type of brass.
Also would like to know peoples opinion of the round.

Last edited:
Here's a link to a thread I wrote about my two 7's one is my semi custom stw and the other is my custom wsm. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/ssg-7wsm-semi-custom-7mm-stw-68716/

The reason I may sell the stw is I was having it built when I had a chance to buy one of Nathan Dagley's (308nate) 7 wsm's I knew I wouldn't have an opportunity like that again so I bought it. I really don't have any use for two 7mm rifles so if I sell one it will be the stw. It has exactly 61 rounds down the barrel counting proper break in.

Pm me if your interested,
Nathan

You can check out gunbroker.com. They always have some up for auction.

The Remington 700 SS DM w/ factory muzzlebrake in 7mm STW is an amazing rifle, me and 2 of my friends own them. I have only shoot factory ammo out of the gun, but have never had a problem. I have only taken deer with mine, but have not lost a deer since I started using it. The longest shot so far for me has been 250 yards. My stw is sighted in at 200, at 250 you just aim, breathe and pull the trigger. The bullet does the rest, no need for hold over. My one friend shot his elk at 600 yards. If you talk to him about it you would think you are talking to an infomercial, he loves it that much.

I have been shooting 140 gr Core Lokt's, this year trying some accubonds and hsm berger's out of it. With the Core Lokt's I have been getting 1" at 100yards.

Last edited:
Also would like to know peoples opinion of the round.

mine is a wildcat - not for sale - from just before it was made comercial. Compared to a regular 7 mm mag it is a wonderful gun. Were the 7mag is popping primers to gain speed the stw does it with ease. The 7 ultras burn more powder for very little gain. I have a 28 inch barrel. no brake so it is a good LR elk gun I shoot 175's

I love my STW! One gun you may want to look for is the Sako TRG-S or M995, same gun just you will may see either name. It is what I have and absolutely love it! Extremely accurate. They are not made anymore but i see one every now and them pop up for sale.

I'm curious about these savage rifles made in a 7mm STW. Did savage manufavture them for a few years? or are they 300 mags or 7mm mags reamed out to fit the STW?

Has anybody tried shooting berger VLD 168 grn. bullets out of an STW? My buddy has a 7mm Weatherby that is a tack driver with the VLD's. The only probablem is that he seats the bullet so high that he can only load them one at a time. Accuracy makes up for the trouble though.
Seems like a 168 grn. has the best BC for a 7mm round? true or false?

How hard would it be to ream out a 7mm rem or wby mag to a 7mm STW? 300 mag? would it be expensive? Would a 7 be the best round to start with since I wouldn't have to put a new barrel on it? or would I?
If I bought a 700.00 rifle in a 7mm rem mag, how much would i be looking at to turn it into a 7mm STW?
Should be a great mule deer round right? I love my 8mm rem mag but kinda big for deer.....pluss I just want a 7 STW!
I appreciate all the help guys!

NDDODD- Both those rifles are beautiful specimens! Beauty doesn't matter if they don't shoot and looks like yours do....Kinda like a beautiful woman that can cook too! haha
I've been looking into the muscle breaks for a while. Sounds like you approve of them correct? I was in a car wreck a few years back and tore a nerve in my shooting shoulder which makes it a little sore to shoot magnums. Was thinking about one for my 8mm rem mag.
Just from the looks of your gun(7STW) , it looks like it's out of my price range for now. What were you looking to get out of it? Also what does it weigh?

Not much trouble to put a STW reamer in a 7 rem mag. Next year when I get unpacked and all my stuff out I could fix you up. I am selling quite a number of my rifles and I have six 7mm STW's. Three will probably go. I imagine it will be the three new ones that have never been fired. The other three I have loads worked up and probably wouldn't part with. They are 26 and 28 inch barrels on Sako actions.

And I forgot about one which is a Mk5 Wby that is still in the box never opened. It is the newest one probably only ten or so years old. The others were built before it was called an STW.

Long time lone ranger-
You say you have 3 STW's for sale? What kind of a price tag are you going to put on those?
I am from Eastern Washington state where I hunt mule deer in wide open spaces. Also I have a Nevada mule deer trip this fall, I am hoping to pick up an STW before then so I have time to get comfortable with it before I take it hunting.
If you could part with one this year, I would love to see some photos of them.
Also, if you have the time I would love to here a little more about the process of turning a 7mm Rem. into a STW. thanks

Have a gunsmith put a 7mm STW reamer in the 7mm remington and it turns the remington into a magnum cartridge. It requires a wyatt's box magazine for the long vld bullets to feed well in the STW. Very simple and inexpensive. Most of my rifles are packed away and I can't get to them and have one ready until next year. The Wby Mk5 I have with me if I decided to part with it. It is new in the box. I got it about ten years ago and thought I might shoot it some or my son might. We just have so much stuff to shoot some we don't get around to. Last month I found one of the original first 338-300 RUM's ever done back in 98-99 time frame and forgot I had. 28" Hart barrel on a Sako action. Never been fired. When I get unpacked in my new house I can help some guys. I built long range rifles for many years and basically forgot what all I kept when I shut down my shop. I am selling my lathe to. It is in the garage lonesome and I never have time to use it.

The wby MK 5 7mm STW is the synthetic with a 26" barrel and never been out of the box. That is the only one I have handy.

I would get rid of my sendero 300RUM in a heart beat for a nice 7MM STW
The one here on the board for sale is awesome, run some 168 bergers through it and mule inside of 1000 yards are not safe, elk too for that matter.
I have owned several 7MM's and my best one was a ruger, load that thing with 162gr BTSP and 67gr IMR4831 and it was a tack driver. Killed many blacktail bucks with it. Not much recoil either. Now I barrowed a Sako 7MM once and that thing kicked like a mule.

LTLR, I see your from Wyoming! What part? PM me if you dont want it public.

The biggest problem I read about with the 7STW with the Bergers is the same problem I am having and that is the OAL is to long for the breach's of most models. That is the problem with mine. If I seat as far out as I can and still get them in the clip, it wont shoot a 3" group. I havent tried single shotting it yet to see if it will shoot then. I am thinking about having my bbl set in so the lands are closer so I could decrease the OAL and still have the bullet on the lands. Would this work?

BTW, I love my STW like I said, but if I had to do again, err well if I was going to buy another 7mm (the 7RUM wasn't released when I bought mine) it would be the 7RUM instead. Just easier to find rifles in and ALOT easier and cheaper to find good brass for. Like it or not the 7RUM does out perform the STW as well. Just a suggestion.

The big 7mm RUM will make your OAL problem worse. It shoots slightly faster than the 7mm STW but is way to harsh on barrels. I started this one when I started the 338-300 RUM in 98-99 and quit after a few rifles because it ate up barrels so fast. I still have at least two 31" match barrels from Hart I chambered for this cartridge and would never waiste an action on. They are for sale to. Cheap. The STW or Dakota is about the most powder you can reasonably shoot in 7mm before you get into serious barrel burners from what I found.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.