WANTED: 6.5x55 Mauser M96

huntokanogan

I am looking to buy a Swedish Mauser 6.5x55 rifle. If anyone out there has one or knows where to get one please let me know. I would realy like a sporterized version. But would take a surpluss model too.

I have been looking for a deer rifle for my wife and had it narrowed to a .308, 7mm-08, .243 ect..
But a buddy came buy the other day with a 6.5x55 he bought from a guy for $125.00 that had been in his garage for 20 years! A little rough but sweet gun. A few rounds into it and I was sold.

If it's the price point that's got you hung on the Swede your buddy got an exceptional deal. I just missed a deal on one of these for $300, it ended up going to a local gun shop and they gave what the seller was asking and then turned around and marked it up to $550. This was for a really clean well cared for rifle with all the appropriate markings for a military collector. You may be able to find something in rough condition for cheap but if you are looking for a light recoiling rifle for you wife I think the 6.5x55 cartridge is just about perfect. You may want to consider something in .260 Rem too.

Howa makes a 6.5x55 sporter model rifle. Here's the link: Howa

They are nice rifles and shoot very well. My dad has one in a 25-06. The thing was bedded and had the trigger worked on. One hole groups with hand loads.

Tank

your best bet is go buy a Stevens in long action at acadamy for $179.00
or a marlin same place for under $200.00
and order a 6.5x55 barrel from E R Shaw for $155.00
Stevens Savage and Marlin barrels interchange with barrel nut.
Plus you can buy new take off barrels or used for as low as $50.00 on the net.
22-250 243 25-06 257 6.5x55 270 308 30-06 all of these will fit on it
with no gunsmith nedded do it your self.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.