Wanted 28ga bolt action slug gun

wilfam220

Looking for a good gunsmith to build me a good strong bolt action 28ga- .54 cal slug gun. Brennike is now producing rifled slugs, but I have made a sabot plastic mold and shoot 40 cal.200gr. XTP's from my smooth bore with not much accuracy. This is why I need a rifled barrel. I shot these across Chrony and got 2300fps. If I can get a rifled barrel, I thing I can make a long range Ohio slug gun.My sabots are .540 on OD.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what action to use? Would probably be hard to find a barrel to withstand the 4227 powder pressures. It is fast burning but the only barrels I can find on here are muzzleloader barrels.I was thinking of using a Savage model 220 bolt slug gun and have it rebarreled. Any info to create this long range buck killer will be greatly appreciated! Thanks Alot, Ken

Looking for a good gunsmith to build me a good strong bolt action 28ga- .54 cal slug gun. Brennike is now producing rifled slugs, but I have made a sabot plastic mold and shoot 40 cal.200gr. XTP's from my smooth bore with not much accuracy. This is why I need a rifled barrel. I shot these across Chrony and got 2300fps. If I can get a rifled barrel, I thing I can make a long range Ohio slug gun.My sabots are .540 on OD.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what action to use? Would probably be hard to find a barrel to withstand the 4227 powder pressures. It is fast burning but the only barrels I can find on here are muzzleloader barrels.I was thinking of using a Savage model 220 bolt slug gun and have it rebarreled. Any info to create this long range buck killer will be greatly appreciated! Thanks Alot, Ken

I have a 28 gauge rifle sighted barrel for my Blaser R93. It might be cheaper to buy one of those and a whole Blaser R93 set up than to buy a 28 gauge custom bolt gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.