Want to shoot 7mm Berger 180gr @ 2900 fps

Thanks for all the good info. Now I'm thinking I will stick with .308Win on the short action. Still want a user friendly 7mm long-range rig though. Seems a better way would be to rebarrel my long action (currently 30-06). That would give much more latitude in bullet/cartridge overall length, magazine length, and ejection of unfired rounds. 7mmWSM, 7mmSAUM, .280Rem, or 7mmRemMag would probably all get me where I want to go. I would prefer to stay with a standard case. The WSM or SAUM version kind of have my interest.

Thanks again for your insights. MM

I use my 7 wsm for everything form deer hunting to shoothing competions. i think they are well balanced cartidge, giving you the most power you can harness accurately with out being over bore. Shooting the 180 berger at 3000 fps gives you a thousand foot pounds at 1200 yards. Not too bad for a seven. I am actually a berger bullet dealer and when I run ou of them, I am going to swith to the JLK 180's they are supposed to have a higher B.C and better quality control. The bergers ususlly vary by at least .75 grain form bullet to bullet in each box. With Retumbo and the 180's in a long action start at 63 grains and work up. You can get 3000 Fps with retumbo but don't try to get any more that. If you have any other questions just ask. Reed
smile.gif

Sorry i don't have any data for shooting at 1000 yards because their are no ranges close to home. The closest range is 4 hours away. The only time I shoot long range is when hunting or shooting at ground hog shoots out 500 yards. Sorry I couldn't help you more. i need more practice before I can shoot at 1K. Thanks Reed

Reed,I said that for a coupla years and stayed at the 500 comp ,but 1K is easier to do well at than you think.Give it a go ,just hope ya don't get as hooked as i am..Jr..Jeff Rogers

Dave Tooley is stocking dealer for the RWS cases. He designed the BooBoo series of cartridges on that case. His HV series is on the 404 Jeffries. That is why he is probably best gunsmith to talk to about the 7mm, cases and what you want. Another good smith for 7mm is Bruce Baer.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.