Want to purchase first chronograph

Dannyd

Folks,
I'm looking into purchasing my first chronograph. I will be utilizing it for both gun and archery. I have only budgeted $125 or less for this purchase.
I guess i really only need it to tell me how fast something went through it. I don't need it to do much else in terms of calculations or connections.

I see a few in this price range (Chrony F1 and Beta )etc

Can i get a decent one in this price range? Suggestions?

Thanks
Dan

I bought an F1 Master. It has the remote indicator box. It works great for basic load development and should fit in your budget. They are a great tool until you shoot em'. Be careful when you are setting them up, your line of sight is above your bore!

CED M2, just tried it today since the snow finally went away. I had a chrony now i will toss it. Well worth the money, i actually tried 4 guns today one had almost 100fps different than the chrony.
mike

Dan

At the price point you stated, the best one I've used is the Competition Electronics.

All chronos will be effected negatively by varying lighting conditions....the IR ones do better in the regard however...but they are more money.

Good luck!

Thank you for the information folks.

Do they attach to a regular camera/spotting scope tri-pod?

moombaskier,
I learned that when i shot a hole through my blind while bow hunting. Arrow starts out well below the site LOL

Yes, they will screw right onto a tripod. You may, however, listen to what the other guy's are mentioning. I only have experience the the CHRONY F1, the other models mentioned may be much better. I think that the F1 would be fine for your 1srt. I use mine for basic comparisons, and allways shoot to develop my drop charts.

I actually had an extra surveyer tripod sitting around and used it. I mounted the main part on to a short piece of 2x4 than inserted a nut in the board fitting my tripod. As far as budget i would save a little bit longer and purchase the ced 2. Many of us have and will go the cheaper route and be sorry later. Probably around a extra 100.00 will put you first class. A chronograph is so important especially if you are going to do lr shooting. My chrony on one gun i stated was 60-70 fps different , this would of been crucial on competing a drop chart. Good luck.
mike

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.