Want to fill a BDL mag slot in stock - correctly this time.

royinidaho

First attempt was to fill the bottome metal and mag slot with Bondo type stuff. I noticed that it cracked in a couple of places after curing. (I was warned of that)

After about 25 shots there is a crack all the way around adn the finish is chipped all the way around but the finish is no biggie.

I figure a few more shots and it will fall out.

The whole idea was to stiffen the stock.

Any advice other than a new/different ADL stock. I have way too much work into this one already and really like the way it shaped up and feels to give up now.

Roy , when I buy my JB Weld I get the big 4 oz industrial tubes for about $10 , maybe get a couple of those and fill that rascle up.
I did the same thing your trying but filled the whole mag well , I cut a big chunk of aluminum and glued it in their with epoxy.
As for your situation maybe you could just fill a small area like what the BDL metal would take up then add a coat of fiberglass on the out side and sand it to blend it.
As for the glue , I would us a 1500 psi epoxy like the 5 min stuff , it seems to not get glass hard like the 2500 and 3500 psi stuff more like a hard plastic. Or the Brownells Glas-Bed stuff works pretty well and is a good adheasive also. I have been using a two part epoxt called Hysol and it is some great stuff.

By the way your box showed up today , thanks a bunch

JDJones,

Hey, the USPS done good!

Here's what I think I'm seeing.

I filled the mag well and all areas used by the BDL bottom metal with this autobody stuff that uses 12 drops of hardner per oz of stuff. It shrunk long ways leaving an 1/8" opening across the front. Plus another crocked cross crack about 1/2 way back.

What appears to be happening is that the sides of the stock at the mag well are flexing outward. This never would have been noticed with a normal hardware mounting system.

What I think I'm going to do, after some serious discussion with Mungus Beck, who has more experience and ideas than I do, is to cut a block of aluminum or wood to almost fill the well. Devcon or Marine Tex or Accra Glass it in, then put a couple of reinforcing pins/screws through it.

Then if it pans out (read shoots super) and I feel I need a 338 super boomer I'll restock it next year with a decent one.

Best way I have found was to fit a piece of hard wood to fit into the mag box relief with about 1/8" around all sides of it.

Out a layer of marine tex in the bottom, set the hard wood block in, fill around the block with marine tex, and top off with marine tex.

I generally do this while bedding the rifle so the finished bedding is seamless when finished pretty much.

Using hard wood is a must. soft wood like pine will work but not nearly as dense. The wood just helps prevent any cracking which may result from a very large amount of bedding compound in one area.

Its also alot cheaper then 14 oz of marine tex!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Roy , are you trying to fill the whole mag well as to make the gun a single shot or just fill the area that the BDL bottom metal filled up that you have replaced with an ADL unit?

Roy , I have access to alot of aluminum and steel at work if you want I'll take some measurments and cut some and send you way if you want.

I took the advice from above and cut a piece of hardwood to fit then epoxied it in. Turned out pretty fair. More on this stock in another thread.

Also just finished my first pillar bed job followed by skim bidding. If that ain't the cat's meow, nothin' is. I may for the first time in my life have a rifle that may maintain POI when taken down and reassembled. That would be a good thing. I'll test it out one of these first days.

Thanks for the offer JD..... If it would have been made sooner the wife wouldn't be grousing about that piece of hardwood flooring missing over by the stove. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey, if it would have come to that, I'd of done it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.