• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED want to buy 300 or bigger

Tikkamike

I am looking for a rifle for a buddy. He wants a 300wsm, or 338win or something similar. Nothing less than 30 caliber. Looking to spend around $500+/- prefer a tikka but open to about anything quality.

Is he looking for anything custom like 300 rum with mcmillian htg,abs carbon fiber barrel with break Remington action and rem trigger plus rail on it. Could send pics if interested. $2500 I'm currently running 210 bergers in it and is an absolute tack driver

What about a 338-06? I have one built on a Commercial Mauser made and Manchester, England. Let me know if you want specifics.

At that price range, their is only one real competitor IMHO, that of Savage. I have the model 16 Bear Hunter 300 WSM, 0.41" 3 shot pattern at 100 yards right out of the box. That is a little more than $500, but the model 11/111 is almost as good, but without the accustock. The 111 XP trophy with the Nikon is not a bad setup for that price. The Tikkas in that price range are so light that they are real donkey kicks, until you get a muzzle brake and then you are back at the fancier Savage price range once you do that...yes, I am a little biased towards Savage. I don't think anything is better for fresh out of the box shooters.

I have had 7 savages and only 2 of them would shoot under an inch. But its not up to me wjatever he wants... so anyone that has something let me know!

I have had 7 savages and only 2 of them would shoot under an inch. But its not up to me wjatever he wants... so anyone that has something let me know!
I am just curious, of these 7 how old are they? What they build now is quite distinct from the old stuff and there certainly is a huge difference between an entry level $300 axis..just curious. I owned a few a Rem 700's and just learned to live with crappy shooting at way over 1", but now that I know better...

I am just curious, of these 7 how old are they? What they build now is quite distinct from the old stuff and there certainly is a huge difference between an entry level $300 axis..just curious. I owned a few a Rem 700's and just learned to live with crappy shooting at way over 1", but now that I know better...

+1 on the Savage

I had a new 11bth in 243 that shot like crap and then one with an accustock that shot even worse. those were the worst 2, then several others like a heavy barrel 10 in 308. The only 2 that shot decent were actually really old, one wasnt even a savage it was actually a stevens in 270 and it shot the best. I know some savages shoot good, but all in all it seems like a crap shoot to me. I have never tried an axis either. I have had way better luck with tikka.