Want thermal scope to mount ahead of day scope on my RPR

Litehiker

I'm posting here B/C you hog hunters have the most knowledge of thermal scopes.

I have a 6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle for competition but I have plenty of rail ahead of my Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 scope to mount a thermal scope. I want one for coyote hunting in Nevada.

1. Is there a good mountable thermal scope for this purpose (W/ no reticle)?
2. If so which would be the best?

Thanks

Eric B.

Last edited:
There are thermal scopes that you can mount in front of your daylight scope. They do have a reticle that can be turned off, but the reticle can be quite helpful in alignment.

Best? Best non-military clip-on would be the Trijicon Snipe-IR.

With that said, not a lot of people use clip-ons. They don't like the extra weight forward of their scope and they find that the clip-ons do not actually perform as well as stand alone thermal scopes despite costing as much.

If you have a quality scope and solid scope mounts just use a torque wrench to swap back and forth. I do this all the time with my 6.5 since I test so many different loads. I have had no problem holding zero on either scope or thermal. I also swap my thermal on different caliber weapons with no problem holding zero.

If you have a quality scope and solid scope mounts just use a torque wrench to swap back and forth. I do this all the time with my 6.5 since I test so many different loads. I have had no problem holding zero on either scope or thermal. I also swap my thermal on different caliber weapons with no problem holding zero.

So I was thinking this because all my mounts a one piece. But wasn't sure if I could get away with that or if I had to have the quick attach ones. I thought if I indexed my current mount I could just loosen it out on a thermal and mount in same location and be good to go. Especially for the distances I'll be using a 300blk or grendel for.
Do I have that right?

I've got an ATN thermal clip-on. I swap it between several rifles. I'll look tonight for the exact model. I've attached a photo of it on one of my .308s.

I had some problems getting the thermal reticle to match the scope reticle, so I turned the thermal reticle color to black and use the illuminated reticle on my rifle scope to target hogs.

Attachments

• 47CB93EA-51D7-4886-8266-E610A1CF1326.jpeg
    47CB93EA-51D7-4886-8266-E610A1CF1326.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 225
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts