Want opinion on new rifle.

cjp45

I just purchased a SS Savage varmint series with 26'' fluted barrel in .223Rem. I'm planning on useing it for coyotes and woodchucks here in Michigan. Some day I would like to hunt prarie dogs. Is this gun ok for that?

Hi

I live in the UK and use a .223 for foxing and shooting rabbit, its even legal in Scotland for Roe Deer. In my opinion it is more than man enough for your intended use. The only other cals I would consider are the 6mm/243 or 22BR for that kind of work.

Happy Hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Excellent Pdog caliber. Low report and recoil, along with great accuracy and cheap to shoot make it the ideal Pdog rifle. However, for chucks which run a little bigger, I think the 22-250 is a little better. The shooting is not fast or furious. The coyote is a tough sucker, load with at least a 50g or better yet a 55g and keep your shots to 300 max for a coyote. JMO.

A 223 for cheap ammunition, a 204 shooting a 40 grain bullet will out perform the 223 all the way out there exepct for energy.

Beats the 22-250 as well..

223 or 204! 223 if you dont reload

It will work great for what you describe. Just use 50-55 grain bullets for the coyotes and the lighter varmint bullets for the groundhogs and Pdogs

A 223 will do it. Plain and simple if you hit a p-dog he is not going to like it. Of course that's what I thought about 243 and 87gr.vmax on coyote and he ran away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. But yes a 223 will kill p-dogs. A 22-250 or other faster cartridges will shoot flatter and buck the wind better but that just means you're up to a bigger challenge

The 223 Rem is the most popular prairie dog round being used today by a fair margin. Long barrel life, good performance and easy loading and shooting add up to its popularity.

For chucks it is also a very good round with proper bullets.

For yotes it will still bring home the goods but shot placement is a bit more critical then with say a 22-250 or 243. Easier on pelts though. Ranges are also limited a bit but if your calling yotes, there are few better rounds out there.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.