Wall Tent

Drip stove can use karosene or diesel, (diesel is WAY cheaper & redily available) you just adjust the drip flow for temp for either one. You can mix it I guess. We have started with karosene , & ended the season with diesel.
It's nice to have a heat source that's not extreme 1 way or the other, that's also constant.

I use a military tent cover for the tent. Tough as heck.

I have a 5 man and 10 man arctic tent for sleeping and a 16x20 wall tent for a cook tent, I also have a 10x12 wall tent that fits in a big rubbermade container.

We have been using pellet stoves lately and that seems to be a pretty good deal once you figure it out and get tuned in to what pellets your stove likes. They also will burn wood.

Wood can be interesting...

Drip stove can use karosene or diesel, (diesel is WAY cheaper & redily available) you just adjust the drip flow for temp for either one. You can mix it I guess. We have started with karosene , & ended the season with diesel.
It's nice to have a heat source that's not extreme 1 way or the other, that's also constant.

Winmag, do they make a conversion kit? What does it drip on? rocks? Thinking I might like the option of either wood or diesel if it is posible.

Thanks

Jeff

Drip stoves usually drip onto a slopped pan that drips it onto the burner, we had them in the army in Korea in all bldgs. All fueled with diesel. There are several small ones now for tent use, and I would use diesel myself.

We switched from the wood stove to a gas stove and its night and day. You can buy the old small ones real cheap. Run the line in and your done. Beats the heck out of half froze and well done. We bought ours on craigslist for 20 bucks.

Winmag, do they make a conversion kit? What does it drip on? rocks? Thinking I might like the option of either wood or diesel if it is posible.

Thanks

Jeff

Like Jake Levi said, it drips onto a sloped piece of steel in a pan. Imagine a pony keg, with a coffee can at the bottom, where a small slightly sloped piece of steel rests in the center of the can. Now put a fancy looking piece of tin around the pony keg with louvers, & add a tank plummed into the whole thing with a pitcock for adjusting the flow.
We light newspaper, drop it into the "coffee can" then start the drip. I doubt you could burn wood in it except very small bits, & pieces in emergency. It would be a real pain to scoop the ashes too. But it could hold enough firewood to keep you alive in a blizard as a last resort. Your drip stove may not work after that, but you'd be alive to build/buy another one.

Like Jake Levi said, it drips onto a sloped piece of steel in a pan. Imagine a pony keg, with a coffee can at the bottom, where a small slightly sloped piece of steel rests in the center of the can. Now put a fancy looking piece of tin around the pony keg with louvers, & add a tank plummed into the whole thing with a pitcock for adjusting the flow.
We light newspaper, drop it into the "coffee can" then start the drip. I doubt you could burn wood in it except very small bits, & pieces in emergency. It would be a real pain to scoop the ashes too. But it could hold enough firewood to keep you alive in a blizard as a last resort. Your drip stove may not work after that, but you'd be alive to build/buy another one.

So I am back to thinking about this drip stove again. Can I get some brand name and details where to order one and a recommendation for a good stove?

Thanks
Jeff

So I am back to thinking about this drip stove again. Can I get some brand name and details where to order one and a recommendation for a good stove?

Thanks
Jeff

Hey Broz,
It's an old Coleman drip stove.
Fling me a p.m. With your email & ill send pics. I just got back today so it's in my garage. I'll go take a bunch of pics but I have 0 idea how to post them from my phone, & honestly could care less about learning to post them on LRH. Just too much of a pain in the butt. But I can happily, & easily email them to you.
If you care to post them even better. That way I won't be bombarded with requests to post em:D

Thanks!! PM sent, Hope I can find one of them

Jeff

Email pics, & pm sent.

We use it with two 12x14' wall tents back to back & it's quite adequate. Just used it this week in my (one) 12x14' wall tent & kept it between low, & medium. It stayed about 68* inside.
A little warm, but it was snowing, & I was wet & cold. Guess I could've turned er down a bit, but I was a cold wet wimp, so upper 60's low 70's felt nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.