Walkers game ears?

lurcher

Anyone use these? basically a hearing aid/foam plug with a compression circuit which helps dampen muzzle blast. I am having a serious issue with my ears ringing when hunting. My hunting often involves a combination of bush stalking and open country hunting over the course of a single hunt. If I spot an animal in the open and i have time to set up for the shot then I use foam ear plugs.

When in the bush I need to be able to hear so the plugs are a hindrance. I routinely wear a camouflage face net and would find earmuffs with a compression/hearing aid circuit too bulky (I use them for duck hunting and they work fine for that).

Can anyone comment on the effectiveness of the game ears?

I just bought a single one last week for the same reason as you. Haven't had it in the field yet but tried it on with a head/face mask. I feel it will work. Seems like the foam plug will fit well enough to protect the ears for the occasional hunting shot. I would not rely on them for shooting targets repeatedly. I bought one to start. It may be sufficient to just wear a plug in the other ear. For me, it is for stationary setups, coyotes, deer, etc. Not sure I would want to use only one ear for cruising like you do. My ears are still ringing from 2 shots just before Christmas. Probably permanent.

I have used them as a pair for about 10 years. There are about five problems and about one good point.

First the good point.

If you can't hear, then they work very well to allow you to hear and they are frequency tunable to provide amplitude in the range you need it.

Disadvantages

1. You cannot wear a low hat nor long redneck hair as it will create feedback.
2. They are not waterproof and so must be protected from rain and the washing machine.
3. Even with a pair you lose directional locating ability although if you were not going to hear the animal in the first place you are ahead of the game.
4. I find I turn up the volume too high or else it is necessary for it to be too high and after four or five hours of hunting I have a temporary increase in hearing loss.
5. They do not like high winds and that will create a lot of background noise.

While it sounds like there are a lot of problems, if you have severe hearing loss then they are really good.

Last edited:
Jim

My motivation is for protection in hunting situations...stand or hide situations, really. I hear well, just don't want to be tempted to shoot at a deer unprotected.

I'll test those issues you mentioned before my 30 days are up. Thanks.

When talking to the other mfg.'s of hearing protection for shooting (specifically in-the-ear type) I was told that the clear tube lets excessive noise get to the eardrum. Specifically, I was told that the NRR was at the electronic device, not at the foam earplug.

With that said, I still haven't decided on a pair for hunting, which I will need to do this year.

Did you look at E.A.R. and ESP?

They were made by an audiologist at Georgetown Medical Center for a prescription pair of hearing aids. Surprisingly, the prescription custom tuned digital hearing aids did not have a loud noise circuit so I could not hunt with them.

One of the occupational hazards of being an infantry officer is frequently and repeatedly ruptured eardrums.

I hadn't realised there were multiple manufacturers of ths type of hearing protection. There are at least two other "outside the ear" type options, manufactured by companies called radian and champion for sale on ebay. I did a google search and found these ,these, these and these from the UK. The westone ones look interesting as they have no electronics to fail. My problem with buying a really expensive pair would be the ease of losing them.

Has anyone tried any of the other types of protection aside from walkers?

Last edited:
I have used them as a pair for about 10 years. There are about five problems and about one good point.

First the good point.

If you can't hear, then they work very well to allow you to hear and they are frequency tunable to provide amplitude in the range you need it.

Disadvantages

1. You cannot wear a low hat nor long redneck hair as it will create feedback.
2. They are not waterproof and so must be protected from rain and the washing machine.
3. Even with a pair you lose directional locating ability although if you were not going to hear the animal in the first place you are ahead of the game.
4. I find I turn up the volume too high or else it is necessary for it to be too high and after four or five hours of hunting I have a temporary increase in hearing loss.
5. They do not like high winds and that will create a lot of background noise.

While it sounds like there are a lot of problems, if you have severe hearing loss then they are really good.

Ditto,
I have one, and wish I had not spent the money.

I have used the "molded in the ear" type for the past 12 years, and only have had to get them remade once. Most likely due to a change in weight (not thinner either). The last time I had them made was when I was at the ATA Trapshoot in Vandalia, OH. They are not electronic, and cost $25.00 for the pair. I can use them as molds for the electronic type by sending them to either Custom Ear Protection Electronic Hearing Protection Custom Ear Plugs Hearing Protection Devices. or Earinc/Insta-Mold - Worldwide provider of customized earplugs for hearing protection and communication systems.

They work pretty darn well, and I'll use them along with muffs when shooting ported handguns or rifles from the bench if the muffs will allow me to get the correct cheek weld.

I have used a set called Sonic II's that are sort of like the westone ones, and I had a 20% hearing loss in my left ear shooting a .22LR rifle indoors after a month. Granted, it was on a small 4 lane indoor range, but the only thing that was shot was .22LR rifles (3 position, 50' matches). I averaged 500 rounds a week in practice..........

Last edited:
Ernie

If it is the style that is frequency tunable and you wish to sell it, I will buy it if you give me a decent price. One of mine is going bad after ten years an needs to be replaced. As I said, for those of us with severe hearing loss they are very good.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.