Vz-24 6.5-06

Dan M

Shooting quite well id say. Lija 26.5" #4 barrel. Timney trigger and Bell & Carlson stock. Built by Robert Winters of Menno, SD

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 157
Fantastic accuracy!!

I recently did a .264 WM build with a Lilja #3 barrel with clover leaf accuracy great barrels. I had a bit of trouble breaking the barrel in though. It took about twice as many rounds as normal to break it in - terrible fouling - but all is good now little fouling and cleans up quick.

What's the weight of the rifle if you don't mind me asking?

So whats recoil like on a 6.5-06? looking to build a coyote/deer rifle. I need something with a hammer on game and mild recoil. Does this 6.5 trump a 25-06?

Bob:

I have a 6.5-06AI built on a VZ-24 that I use for deer hunting. I'm sure it'd work fine on yotes, but I usually take my 22-6mm, 22-250, or 223 when calling song dogs. In my rifle, I shoot the 140SST over H4831SC at about 2950 fps. I can get more velocity than that, but that's the sweet spot for accuracy with my rifle. That load just HAMMERS the deer. Everything I've shot with it so far has moved <20 yds after the shot, with many of them DRT.

It's a little flatter shooting than a 25-06, but does have slightly more recoil. I'd still consider it fairly mild, more of a muzzle bounce than a strong recoil. With the accuracy load at 2950, I don't think I'd do an AI on this one again (except I have the dies for it:rolleyes:)....

Have fun,

Brian

Just my input on the 6.5 06 I have built 4 6.5 o6 Akleys on mauser actions and comm. mauser actions and Savage there far better for long range hunting I shoot 140s sst in mine with rl 22 and rl 19 both preform outstanding. there a hammer here are two that I built this year my first is a comm. Santa Barbra double set triggers with a hart barrel done in the traditional Mauser style exhibition grade walnut. The other is a Savage center feed I chambered using a shilen match grade number 5#Barrel choate tac stock and millet scope .

Attachments

• 222-1.jpg
    222-1.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 155
  • 20131020_115610.jpg
    20131020_115610.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 157
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.