VX3 vs Mark 4: Reliability of reticle adjustments

LDHunter

I'm about to order a 4.5-14x40 Leupold scope and am concerned about the difference between the VX3 scopes vs the Mark 4 scopes for reliability of reticle adjustments.

Anyone have any advice on either? This scope will be used for a lot of turret turning varmint types of shooting and I'm very particular on the reliability of reticle adjustments. I have one Mark 4 and it seems to be drop dead reliable for reticle adjustments.

I get frustrated when I move a reticle adjustment a few clicks up and my group moves left or right or doesn't respond correctly to the adjustment. GRRRRRRR!!!!

Please help....

LDHunter

It seems to me that the Mark IV is more suited to what you want with a lot of turret movement and you know it is dead accurate. Why would you not just get another Mark IV?

I'm not very well versed on the Leupold scopes but there are two reasons I don't just get another Mark 4.

1. I've never seen one with low turrets. Maybe I just haven't looked enough and the tall turrets get in the way but I admit they're really easy to use and I don't want that to have to be a deal breaker.

2. Price... Seems like the Mark 4 scopes are a good bit more money.

Thanks,
Bob

Don't get cheap on scopes, including leupold's, or you'll end up with counterfeit or obsolete model/years.
Get the latest MK4 8.5x25x50 M1

There are M3 BDC turrets from Leupold, which are lower, but their function is completely different and they are much more limited w/resp to M1.
I would never trust one of their Vari-X whatevers. If Leupold will compete with themselves, they will as likely undermine themselves..

OK... I've answered SOME of my own doubts and questions and it appears that SOME of the Mark 4 scopes DO come with turrets that aren't all that tall so I can live with that and it wasn't the most important consideration anyway.

The question of the erector system differences between the Mark 4 and the VX-3 still plagues me. On the Leupold website I looked up both the Mark 4 and the VX-3 scopes and they say that they both have the "Twin Bias Spring Erector System".

My most important question is... Are both Mark 4's and VX-3's equally reliable in erector system adjustments? Does ANYONE actually know? I guess I could call Leupold but I assumed that someone here would know.

By the way... Someone mentioned the M1 top turret and that doesn't leave room for the fine adjustments I need for varmints.

Thanks,
Bob

I'm about to order a 4.5-14x40 Leupold scope and am concerned about the difference between the VX3 scopes vs the Mark 4 scopes for reliability of reticle adjustments.

Anyone have any advice on either? This scope will be used for a lot of turret turning varmint types of shooting and I'm very particular on the reliability of reticle adjustments. I have one Mark 4 and it seems to be drop dead reliable for reticle adjustments.

I get frustrated when I move a reticle adjustment a few clicks up and my group moves left or right or doesn't respond correctly to the adjustment. GRRRRRRR!!!!

Please help....

i have 5 vx3 2x 4.5-14x50 and one 40 2 x 6.5-20x50 LR TARGET AND ALL FAIL A BASIC BOX TEST.

go the mark iv

i have 5 vx3 2x 4.5-14x50 and one 40 2 x 6.5-20x50 LR TARGET AND ALL FAIL A BASIC BOX TEST.

go the mark iv

I wasn't able to decipher what scopes you have but I think you're saying they're all VX-3's and all fail the box test... Thanks... That's the kind of input I'm looking for.

Have you ever tried the box test on a Mark 4?

I've fully tested 4 Mk4s, and all were actually perfect. I've tested 3 NF NXS, 2 were repeatable, none adjusted in 1/4MOA as merchandised.

So far, I know of no other scope on the market that actually adjusts in true MOA(ratio of 1.047 IPHY). I'm sure there are, but have not yet read of any verified as such.

I wasn't able to decipher what scopes you have but I think you're saying they're all VX-3's and all fail the box test... Thanks... That's the kind of input I'm looking for.

Have you ever tried the box test on a Mark 4?

i have 5 vx3s

2 x 4.5-14x50 and 1 4.5-14x40

2 x 6.5-20x50 LR TARGET.......... so thats 5 vx3 scopes and no i haven't tried a box

test on a Mark 4 but it's a toss up between a mk4 and a nxs nightforce.

(i know how much we all like polls haha so no i won't run one )

I've fully tested 4 Mk4s, and all were actually perfect. I've tested 3 NF NXS, 2 were repeatable, none adjusted in 1/4MOA as merchandised.

So far, I know of no other scope on the market that actually adjusts in true MOA(ratio of 1.047 IPHY). I'm sure there are, but have not yet read of any verified as such.

get a copy of bryan litz applied ballistics he demonstrates how to do a tall target test. The box test most people do isn't as good as the tall target test. because no one adjusts their scope that way in actual use. Litz said he has never seen a NF have enough adjustment error to ever need to change anything in his ballistic software. He also tests a leupold side by side and finds tracking error, he shows how to figure out how much there is and he changes the value in the program to match it. I am done with leupold, I never have found their scopes that user friendly, as in easy to get behind, they also tend to lie about the actual magnifcation the scopes have and the tracking sucks. If are on a budget just buy a vortex, you get a zero stop on them, not on leupold.

All click values should be entered in ballistic software by their tested & true IPHY. It is also widely known that MOA is declared loosely with most scopes.
When you actually test scopes yourself, your feelings will be hurt I can tell already.

And maybe it's my prescription, along with my son's natural vision, but we find it's Leupold that seems more accurate in magnification, and NOT NF NXS.
My 32x NXS adjusted to reticle focus exactly matches my 25x Mk4 in power. I don't know if 8.5x25 Mk4 scopes are actually 32x, but I suspect otherwise wouldn't you?

I already stated that I tested my Mk4s and they tested perfect. That includes tracking and ability to hold zero. With that, I would say good luck(bad luck) in finding one that doesn't.
Leupold is not a fly-by-night company.

The Mk4s are lighter than NXS. They hold identical attributes in glass. Leupolds mount lower, they eypiece doesn't turn with power, and they come with Alumina flip-ups(the best in existence).
NF wins in reticle selection and actual zero stop.

You might want to research that vortex travel stop a bit (not actually a zero stop).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.