VX lll lr vs Black Diamond

MU Ag Rho

I need some new glass for my 6.5-284 and my 7rum and have been looking at the 6.5-20x50 and 8.5-20x50 leupies, and the 6-24x50 and the 8-32x50 burris. I want target turrets and have had good luck with both brands in the past, but my vx lll's have better glass than my signatures do. Do the black diamonds have better glass than the vx lll's?

I'm sure the votes for the leopold will far outweigh the Burris but me personally to my eyes the Black Diamond is much clearer and brighter. The contrast seems better also but these are my personal observations.
Leupies have never been as clear to myself as some other brands.
I have the 6X24X50 Black Diamond on my 7 RUM and love it.
Myself and another member here johnnyk have done some comparisons with his Leuies and he also gives a slight nod to the Burris on clarity even though he is a die hard leuy fan.
If possible you should compare them side by side for yourself.

I think you would be pleased with either.
Good luck!!

I don't own any of the two you want to compare but have owned a quite a few of the 6.5-20x40mm Leupolds. They were good scopes and you can have Premier Reticles do custom work to boost the power or custom reticles to match your specific load in that specific gun. If you want to go with the custom Leupold, I'd buy the whole set-up from Premier Reticles. That would be cheaper than sending one to them to do if you have to buy one anyhow.

I ran out of time in my last post to include this little bit also...If you don't see the need for the custom work I mentioned that could be done to the Leupold, I do like the fact that Burris has the four fold power change range where as the Leupold your looking at only has the three fold power change range. It's nice to have a bit more low power on the lowest setting and a bit more high power on the highest power setting. You may want to compare the elevation adjustment between the two also, my guess is the Leupold will have more but I never read the specs. on the two in order to compare.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.