Vortex vs Millet

Mr.Moa

Looking for a dependable long range scope without having to spend a ton. Looking into a millet LRS or Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 LR ( off gunwerks website ) or maybe the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 PA. Main thing i want is someting that is clear far out and tracks to where i want it when i turn the turrets. Will probably go on a 300 win mag or 300 ultra or 338 of some sort so if anyone has had any problems with these scopes with recoil please tell.

Gotta say I own the Millett TRS and a vortex viper PST. As far as glass goes the viper series has better clarity than the TRS. The Millett is decent for the price and has worked very well for me in a 300wm. Tracks fine and always returns to zero. Just wish the glass was a little better. The Vortex HS might be a good option though you are pretty limited on reticle choice and stuck with 1/2 MOA adjustments. If you want a matching reticle and large tactical knobs the Millett is a contender in that price range.

I'm waiting for the Viper HS myself. I have the regular Viper and like it a lot.
The 1/2 moa elevation on the HS is optional. For my hunting purposes the 1/2 moa clicks on the elevation turret is perfect. 24 moa adjustment in 1 revolution gets me out past 1000 yards easily. By rounding to the nearest 1/2 moa you are never off by more than 1/4 moa. The wind turret is 1/4 clicks on both models. The reticle also has windage marks every 2 moa (sounds like an easy way to hold for wind to me). I think the 1/4 moa elevation model has turret caps and the 1/2 moa elevation turret is bigger and doesn't have a cap. At $500 this seems like a very practical LRH scope for my new custom 7 mag.
I called Vortex a few weeks ago and they said it will be out in June. I asked how available it will be in June and he indicated it will be easy to find. I'm sure the people who are still waiting on a Viper PST might have their doubts!

str8shoot is right about the HS series stuff. Just make sure you are looking at the right model when or if you buy. 1/2 MOA is not optional on the Vortex HS LR series. They are 1/2 MOA elevation and 1/4 MOA windage and only have the dead-hold BDC reticle. The rest of the HS series is 1/4 on both but lack the tactical style elevation knob and zero stop features. Looks like they might be a good option for those that don't want to drop the cash on a PST.

im fairly new to long range shooting and I am looking at a new scope fro my Rem 700 .308.

i have bene looking at the Vortex viper 6.5-20x50 PA, and the Millett 6-25x56 LRS.

they are within $100 of the same price, just not sure which way to go.
looking for some outside opinions.

thanks!

str8shoot is right about the HS series stuff. Just make sure you are looking at the right model when or if you buy. 1/2 MOA is not optional on the Vortex HS LR series. They are 1/2 MOA elevation and 1/4 MOA windage and only have the dead-hold BDC reticle. The rest of the HS series is 1/4 on both but lack the tactical style elevation knob and zero stop features. Looks like they might be a good option for those that don't want to drop the cash on a PST.

if you get the ffp model it also comes with the xlr reticle which I really enjoy using

I'd take a look at the new vortex hst scopes nice package for the price zero stop moa or mil reticles and in a 44 objective.

If your gonna spend a little more the pst is a good all around scope choice as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.