Vortex Viper

alloutsmith3

I'm looking at picking up a Vortex Viper. I'm planning on using most of my shooting using the holdover method. Knowing this do you think the Ballistic Reticle or Mil-Dot Reticle would be the better option. Thanks

I use my mil-dot scopes for holdover and can hit a 6" plate everytime out to 400 yards. If you get the tactical knobs you can adjust the scope for the optimum point blank range and just use the center out to about 300 yards depending on caliber. Then you can adjust from there. The mil-dot is also more fun at the range.

That being said, I also have a BDC on my 30-06 deer rifle that I love - it's quick, easy and accurate out to 400 yards (I haven't shot further).

I think you should reconsider hold over for distance unless you're planning to do the math and just use the mil dots. Go to the range and shoot your gun marking how many clicks it takes to get to the target. Practice, and you have dead on hold every time out to whatever distance you feel comfortable shooting at. Hold over for wind is fine and again just takes practice.

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm looking at using the Ballistic Reticle to about 400-600 yds and then turning the turrets for longer shots.

I have the 6.5-20x44 Viper with the Dead-Hold BDC reticle and it's a great scope. The cross hairs are a little thick though and if I had to do it all over again I would have gotten the V-plex. I thought I would use the hold over hash marks, but I don't. I don't feel they are precise enough. The vertical hash marks are at 1.5 MOA, 4.5 MOA, 7.5 MOA and 11 MOA. 500 yds for my 6.5-284 is at 8.25 MOA. So somewhere between the last hash mark and top of the bottom post. I prefer to click for all my adjustments as I can then dial in exactly what I need. I also have a Nightforce with the NP-R1 reticle that has the hash marks every 1 MOA. I shot it for awhile using the hold over method but found out quickly that I much preferred to click it too. I use the hash marks if I miss on the first shot and need to make a quick follow up shot and don't have time to click. Sorry if this all sounds garbled, it's early and I'm not fully awake yet.

On a last note I want to reiterate that the scope is a great scope. The adjustments are very repeatable and knowing that, I wish I would have just gotten the V-plex.

Good choice with the Viper, I have two, both the 6.5 x 20 x44, and the one on my 300wsm has the duplex ret. and I dial. So far I have gotten out to 600yds and am very pleased with the scope. The second one is the same scope only in mildot ret. and it will be going on my 6.5 x 47 lapua M.O.A. pistol when it gets here in late spring.

I would not hesitate to buy another one if the need arises..

So given everything else being equal which reticle, the ballistic or mil-dot, do you think would get me further on holdover shots?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.