Vortex Viper

vthokee

I am looking at putting a Vortex Viper scope on my new Tikka T3 7mm. I looked at several scopes over the last few days. I looked at the Leupold VX2&3's, Zeiss Terra and then the Vortex Viper HS line. Out of all of the ones I looked at the Vortex Vipers were the best glass I looked through in that price point. Now I will be using this in NM for hunting elk and mule deer and if I am lucky big horn sheep. Now that I have narrowed it down I am unsure what magnification to get. I looked at the 2.5-10x44 and the 4-16x44. What are the opinions of each magnification and what would best suit me for the rifle I am hunting with. Still new to this western style of long range hunting.

I have had Leupold VXIII's and they are good glass. I have several Vortex products, including a Viper HS scope. They are excellent glass for the money. I also have much higher end optics like a Kahles scope, but the price is significantly more expensive. The Zeiss Conquest line is a more fair comparison to the Viper HS than the Terra is.

I have several Conquests, and for the money, they are incredible glass when you get them outside and out in the ambient light and away from fluorescent lighting inside a store.

I was lucky enough to go to a store that let me take them outside in look in natural light. I didn't look at any other Zeiss scopes. I did however look through the owners trijicon scope and it was amazing just not in my budget.

Now that I have narrowed it down I am unsure what magnification to get. I looked at the 2.5-10x44 and the 4-16x44. What are the opinions of each magnification and what would best suit me for the rifle I am hunting with.

Go with the 4-16. You don't really need a lower magnification than 4x and what you will get at 16x versus 10x is a substantial difference, especially if you decide to extend your range. Better to have it and not use it than need it and not have it :D

I have 2 of the 4x16, one x50 and one x44. Also a PST 6x24x50. I had a VX3 4x14x44 before I ever bought my first Vortex. Still have the VX but will stay with the Vortex brand. Great warranty to boot.

I have been hunting with the 4-16 hslr scopes for the last few years and they are great hunting scopes. 1/2 minute elevation adjustment works fine for most hunting situations.have had zero problems with them.

Make sure you get the First Focal Plane reticle though!! Make sure the sales man clearly explains the difference. I've sold probably 8 of those units in the last 4 months, and a 6x24 is going on my 7mm when I get my hands on it.

I would go with the 4-16 model. You may not need the extra magnification but it's nice to have.

I just picked up a new Tikka T3 Superlite in 7 mag and topped it with the regular Viper 6.5-20x44 with BDC reticle. I set it in some Talley lightweight rings and it sure beats packing my 15lb 260.

I don't know what features you were looking for but Camera Land has the Viper 6.5-20x44's on sale for 325 with free shipping.

Vortex - Camera Land NY

Another vote for the 4-16xHSLR FFP. I have two of them, having stepped up from the SFP model on two earlier rifles. If you are going to do much shooting that calls for measuring things (like antler spread or wind holds) The FFP reticle offers finer detail and accurate subtension regardless of magnification setting. The SFP reticle has 2moa intervals on the horizontal, which doesn't help precision in the wind correction- and the interval grows as you turn down the mag setting. Easy to overlook in the excitement of the moment. Either model works great when dialing range corrections, but if using holdovers, again the FFP reticle with its 1moa interval is better- and it also has the "Christmas tree" windage markings below center so you can hold elevation and wind at the same time without having to guess at one or the other. And unlike some FFP reticles that are a little thick at high mag and block the view of small targets, these have an open center to the cross with a 0.15moa dot right in the middle. I don't shoot at anything small enough to hide behind that.

I recently sold my 4-16X50 PST to help pay for a nightforce. My PST was really good for the price. The turrets were consistent, and the glass was very clear, i have no complaints what-so-ever!!! It's hard to beat in the price range thats for sure

I have the Viper Vortex PST 4-16x and I believe it was a huge mistake. The turret slipped on me and would not hold a zero, so I sent it back, twice before they replaced it only to have it slip on me again. Go with Leupold, a good warranty does not garauntee quality.

I have the Viper Vortex PST 4-16x and I believe it was a huge mistake. The turret slipped on me and would not hold a zero, so I sent it back, twice before they replaced it only to have it slip on me again. Go with Leupold, a good warranty does not garauntee quality.

You're the first I've ever heard of with someone having a turrett or erector issue on a Vortex scope. Can you describe this "slipping" the turrets were doing?

I dialed up 9.25 MOA to shoot at a pumpkin last fall, I shot, missed, by a lot. I thought maybe I had jerked so I shot again and hit in the same place, about 3 moa low. So I adjusted and shot again. Hit in the same place. After playing game for 5 more rounds, I dialed back to 0, and went back to zero it at 100. After making 2 full rotations downward(Well passed the original zero) I had it back on paper.
I took the scope off and sent it in, I got it back, they said it was tracking fine, so I took out again only have the same thing happen. So I sent it back, and THIS time someone actually looked at it and I got a replacement. This scope did great for about 100 rounds and then I had it slip twice but on a much lesser scale.
I've spent enough time behind a rifle to know it was not operator error and my advice would be to but a Leupold or just save your money.

I have a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 mounted on my Weatherby 25-06 and really like it. For the money you can't go wrong. I have no complaints with the scope as of yet and would be inclined to buy another if needed. This is my first Vortex. I usually shoot with Leupold scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.