Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP MRAD - First impressions

Hudge

I've beeb looking at these scopes for several months, hoping they would be half as good as their reviews. Today I received the 4-16x50 FFP, and I'm blown away. Keep in mind, I haven't mounted it or fired a round yet, but my initial impression is that this is an amazing value.

The tube and dials are all substantial in your hand, and it appears to be very well made. The glass is crisp and precise, even at 16x. The resistance in the clicks is perfect (I hear the first models were a little light). The illumination knob and stops are very well designed; there is an off stop next to each individual setting, so you're never more than one click away from shut-off.

I purchased the FFP version which, in my opinion, makes it easier to range for hunting applications. This is my first FFP scope, so we'll see. The reticle is crisp and detailed. I'm very excited to mount this over the weekend and put a few shots on it.

Incidentally, I ordered this from Doug at CamaraLand NY, and they were great. This was my second purchase from them (the first was a pair of Vortex Viper Binoculars), and they've been a pleasure to work with on both transactions. As a matter of fact, I'm going to call them immediately and order the PST 6-24 FFP, since I like this one so well.

Incidentally, I'm replacing a Leupold Mark IV with the 6-24 PST. Having compared the two, I'm convinced that Vortex is the better value. Once I get this mounted, I'll post a new thread with my reaction, but so far I couldn't be happier.

Thanks to Vortex for listening to the shooting community, and thanks to Doug at CamaraLand NY for a great experience. I'll be a customer of both moving forward.

Hope this helps folks as they're evaluating all of the different scope options out there.

in a word TRACKING, I am not really concerned about the glass quailty as long as its decent what I really want is rock solid reliable mechanical features. run this scope through its passes mechanically and report back that is what I am most interested in.

These sound great, I'm waiting for some real world testing before I jump ship though. i want to see how they work on rifles and put up w/ abuse.

+1 - I have been watching this and about five other forums hoping someone will post a full review on this model. It ticks a lot of my boxes at a very attractive price.

Just more of what I have already heard about Vortex products. I ordered a 6-24 PST MOA on Friday morning. I am away from home for job related training this week and mine was delivered to the house yesterday! Cant wait to get back home and check it out.

Jammer - you lucky dog!
I ordered my 4-16x50 FFP MRAD 17 months, 18 days ago and it finally (FINALLY!) came today :D. Ordered mine through a really small retailer so I had to wait for the initial orders at all of the big dogs to be filled first.

I second the OP's comments on the quality of construction & turret feel. I also think the reticle is perfect and its very crisp. I was surprised to find it still usable for holdover on 4x & hopefully it won't be too thick at 16x. I haven't mounted it up yet but hope the tracking & glass match the quality of the rest of the scope.

I also second the OP's praise for Doug at CameraLand. Ordered my Leica 1600 from him right when they came out and could not be found anywhere. Doug was great to work with and shipped it the day I ordered (they were the only one's that had them in stock).

Hudge - Give us a range report when you get yours mounted.

Last edited:
[QUOTE=I was surprised to find it still usable for holdover on 4x & hopefully it won't be too thick at 16x.

With a FFP the reticule enlarges the same as your target so it will not cover up any more of the target at 16x as it does at 4x. :)

You will love it.

joseph

With a FFP the reticule enlarges the same as your target so it will not cover up any more of the target at 16x as it does at 4x. :)
/QUOTE]

Good point and you are correct. However, one of the criticisms of the poorly designed FFP reticles is that they are too thick at full power and cover up small targets at great distances. Doesn't appear it will be a problem with the pst. I really like the reticle design compared to other FFP reticles (from other manufacturers).

In my post I just meant on 4x I thought the reticle would be so small that I wouldn't be able to resolve the individual hashmarks to use for holdover. It was a pleasant surprise that I can see the individual hashmarks.

[QUOTE=cummins cowboy; in a word TRACKING, I am not really concerned about the glass quailty as long as its decent what I really want is rock solid reliable mechanical features. run this scope through its passes mechanically and report back that is what I am most interested in.

Amen brother. you took the words right out of my mouth!

The Vortex PST is a quality Optic, there is some confusion around the MRAD (Mil/Mil) or the MOA (MOA/MOA) versions. You can easily learn either, just takes a bit of time to understand the concepts of each. We are Vortex Dealers and sell these scopes on our website or over the phone: WWW.DRLongRangeConcepts.Com . We can help you understand the different options that Vortex offers. Personally we have made the switch to Mil/Mil and like it alot, it is just all about personal preference and learning to use whichever method well. Thanks, let us know if you need any assistance.
J.R.

Attachments

• bling 4.jpg
    bling 4.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 151
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts