Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44 or Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 AO MC

Most scopes with 40+ inches of travel will get you to 1000+yds unless there is a misalignment in your mounts/bases. The older Leupolds only had about 40-45 MOA and would go to 1000+yds in magnum calibers using VLD type bullets. That's what I start shooting to 1000yds with 20+ years ago.

Here is another head to head comparsion today. I was out shooting my sendero which has the vortex 4-16 tring to do a load test at 400yrds. The sky was cloudy, about 3 inches of snow on the ground and everywhere appears to have that somewhat of the faint grey look. No clear sun to really bring out the color. Not sure why but it seemed to make it hard to focus or really have a ultra crisp image that I was looking for at the 16 power. I worked the side focus and the end focus and still just seem to be ok.
After shooting my sendero I picked up my 6.5 with the zeiss and at 14 power had a nice crisp image. Let a few fly at the target for fun and after a couple more minutes I started getting a light snow in my face so it was time to leave. Not to mention I had already been setting in the cold for about and hour without gloves. :rolleyes: If I had to do it all over again I think I would have waited longer, save some more bucks up and bought another zeiss. I would say the vortex still has some good features but I'm starting to see what the difference is between a 850 dollar scope and a 500 dollar scope. I don't know if the conquest is cheaper now but when it came out the model I have ran 850.00...

I have heard enough....Zeiss for me please...

But I may change a few things around. I have a 4.5-14x40 VX-3 on my .223. I think I have decided to send it back to Leupld for M1 knobs and use it on the .270 and then use the Zeiss on the .223 which is the rifle I shoot most often. This should get me where I need to go.:D

thanks for all the incite fellas.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts