Vortex Viper HS LR turrets

Southwind

I am thinking about buying a Vortex Viper HS LR 4x16x50 for my little summer boredom project I put together.

This is a hunting rig in 7rm and have always been hesitant to put a scope on a rifle that has exposed adjustable turrets. I am wondering for you gentlemen that use them is a hunting applications how susceptible they are to accidental adjustment?

I started shooting the same optic earlier this year and your going to have to do something scary to move the top turret just in normal use. The windage turret is capped so it's GTG and with the zero stop on the elevation turret even if you some how had it turned you'd notice it not on zero then turn it back to the stop then to zero. You have to grab and move the turret, you don't just finger twiddle it!!!

I started shooting the same optic earlier this year and your going to have to do something scary to move the top turret just in normal use. The windage turret is capped so it's GTG and with the zero stop on the elevation turret even if you some how had it turned you'd notice it not on zero then turn it back to the stop then to zero. You have to grab and move the turret, you don't just finger twiddle it!!!

That's what I wanted to hear, thanks for the feedback. How are you liking the scope overall?

i have the regular version and can't quite understand why you want the LR. the regular has caps and on a carry rifle, i just think this is close to a must. the regular has 1/4 adjustments, i think 1/2 is too much. the regular doesn't stick up as high. twice i did a tracking test with mine and the repeatability was superb!

Dave, I'm sure the standard would be fine as well and I may end up there. The 1/2" clicks doesn't really bother me and I like the 75 minutes of adjustment vs. the 50 even though 50 would probably be plenty for this rig.

Weighing the differences for now.

What everyone said. I have no issues with the exposed turrets, took a bit of getting used to (my Lupy's all are tall, capped turrets)....

The click stops are fairly hard to click so unwanted movement (in a scabbard or over your shoulder) is probably rare.

I have PST's but it's the same tall exposed turrett.

Darn nice scopes for the money IMO.

The 1/2 MOA fits very nice, I go from 100 yards zero to 1000 yards in one turn plus I have the BDC reticle so I can use hold offs for wind and leave it capped or if I have time I can pull the cap and I can use the reticle for 0-600 yards hold overs. With a 20 MOA base I'm near the bottom and I can dial to 2000 yards with my 270 WSM. I'm finding it to be a real practical optic for real hunting with a balance of features and price point, I think it really shines in the 0-1000 yard ish hunting and shooting since it really is usable in close with some point and shoot hold overs with the BDC or fast single turn dialing once your past your hold over range or if you have the time to dial it in. I may even get a BDC turret cut for it for even faster range and shoot wolf hunting gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.