Vortex scopes

freebird63

Am sure this question has been ask already.
With the Viper PST 6-24X50 with FFP your looking at $950
With the Razor HD 5-20X35 with FFP your looking at $1999
They both seem amazingly clear and from what I hear their warranty is awesome.
Is the razor that much better to warrant an additional $1000

Am sure this question has been ask already.
With the Viper PST 6-24X50 with FFP your looking at $950
With the Razor HD 5-20X35 with FFP your looking at $1999
They both seem amazingly clear and from what I hear their warranty is awesome.
Is the razor that much better to warrant an additional $1000

Depends on what your doing, the razor has almost 2x the internal travel

If you like the razor better then yes. I have had both and I now have lots of pst's and no razor. Not that the razor was not a great scope I just dont think its worth the extra money.

Additionally, besides more internal adjustment for elevation, the Razor has the industry buzzword 'HD' glass.

Far as I can tell, HD is a coating nothing more.

The Razor might have better glass than the PST's but again thats conjecture on my part. The warranty is identical, in fact the warranty is identical across th entire line from th least expensive Diamondback to the Razor.

IMO, it distills down to what a purchaser considers necessary......

IMO, it distills down to what a purchaser considers necessary......

There you go. Hypothetically with a 20moa base in a perfect world the pst would give you 42.5 moa of up. If you plan to take a 308 out to the mile mark 42.5 moa of up wont get it. The razor with the same base would give you 82.5 moa of up. I've never taken the 308 to a mile so I don't know if 82.3 will get you there but I would think it would.

Also the zero stops are nicer on the razor, but that doesnt equal 1000 dollars

There you go. Hypothetically with a 20moa base in a perfect world the pst would give you 42.5 moa of up. If you plan to take a 308 out to the mile mark 42.5 moa of up wont get it. The razor with the same base would give you 82.5 moa of up. I've never taken the 308 to a mile so I don't know if 82.3 will get you there but I would think it would.

Also the zero stops are nicer on the razor, but that doesnt equal 1000 dollars

I think you should get at least 52 MOA on the PST with a 20 MOA rail.

I think you should get at least 52 MOA on the PST with a 20 MOA rail.

The 6-24 has 65 moa of internal travel (mine actually has 69) but using 65 that means in a perfect world with no cant base you would have 32.5 up. Add the 20 and you have 52.5 so you are correct I had a brain fart. Good catch

With the Razor and a 20moa you would have 82.5

Not really... Vortex scopes have an odd occurence and that is, when the elevation is bottomed out or close to bottomed out, a crescent appears in the in the ocular when you look through it. What you see is actually the inside of the tube itself, a definite distraction. Consequently, your total elevation range is actually less.............

Not really... Vortex scopes have an odd occurence and that is, when the elevation is bottomed out or close to bottomed out, a crescent appears in the in the ocular when you look through it. What you see is actually the inside of the tube itself, a definite distraction. Consequently, your total elevation range is actually less.............

having checked the view through my scope at both ends of the elevation range, I never actually noticed that, so I can't say that's a distraction. Just went and looked again, after your post, I had to look specifically to really notice it. it's there, but not really enough to be a distraction to me

Some ar more pronounced than others, I presume it depnds entirely on how far the elvation post is threaded towards the bottom of the adjustment range (and top as well). Just a tad too far allows the sight picture to encompass the tube itself.

Been discussed on here before so I know there is a variance between units. With my 4.5x16 PST, I can't see the tube at all but my 6-24 shows the crescent at extreme elevation adjustment. I know it's there and what causes it so it's on 'ignore' with me too.

Not owning a Razor, I wonder if QC is tighter and stops are in place to eliminate it? I imagine that the erection mechanics are the same across the entire line. I also suspect that glass quality and focal groups change as the price of admission increases.

It's a QC issue that could be resloved by adding a stop washer or shim during manufacture but that entails precise measurement of each and every unit to ascertain exactly where the thread stops in relationship to the base (and the roof) of the erector mechanism.

It won't effect the mechanics at all btw.

Not something I expect on a scope of this price range actually.

The mechanics are pretty straightforward in any scope as far as the erection mechanism is concerned. Just small parts all working in harmony with each other...

cool info. thanks.

given I'm shooting a .308, and I don't forsee shooting beyond 1k, I have a feeling I won't be reaching the bottom of my elevation that often, if at all, but it's always good to learn new stuff, even if I'm not using it right away

My 4.5-16 is also mounetd on a 308, Talley one piece ring/base, it's a Savage 11 Lightweight.

Personally, I don't see a 308 pill getting out 1K with any repeatability either. It might arrive there but I suspect it's about spent.

Now, the 6-24 is on a Savage Lapua but it has a 20 MOA cant rail. Good grief that gun is heavy...........:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.