Vortex Razor HD Spotting Scope?

EJN

I am looking into buying a Vortex Razor HD Spotting Scope. What can you guys tell me about the product good or bad? Is it worth the $1,500.00 price tag? Should I be looking at something else?

Thanks

I have one and really enjoy using it. Edge to edge clarity is excellent, bright image, and color seems very true. No edge distortion or blurriness can be detected by my eyes. I have the original 20-60X eyepiece and the fixed 30X eyepiece as well. I use the the variable eyepiece the most, but I do find my self using the 30X more and more.

It was certainly worth the investment for me.

vortex is a company that makes nothing themselves, its product is made overseas and labeled by them. they are a marketing company that sells optics. thats no different than alot of optics companies these days. however keep in mind that vortex in particular changes and updates their products often. this means they blow out models at bargain prices from time to time. when I spend 15 bills on optics I want to know I have some resale value, here is an example, my buddy against my advice paid $700 for a vortex skyline spotter, 6 mos later camera land was blowing them out for $400 bucks. I recently sold a leupold gold ring spotter used for more than I paid for it 7 years ago. similar things can be said for leica, swaro, and ziess units. thats the kind of value I look at when I want to upgrade the costs of doing so can mostly be recouped by the sale of the item I already have.

when you get into that price range I would rather spend more money and get a swaro, or zeiss knowing that 5 years from now I will likely get back all the money I put up for it. with that said vortex does have some interesting products I personally liked the new viper spotters, just know what you are getting into

I bought a new Razor HD about three months ago. It is an excellent scope and I really love the clarity it provides. Having used one previously, I knew just how good it is and besides that having a full lifetime warrtanty.
I don't care one bit what kind of company Vortex is as long as they provide excellent service and excellent scopes like the Razor HD.

I bought a viper HD and sent it back because I could see bullet holes at 300yrds alittle bit better than my $80 dollar winchester spotter. I felt it was way more money than it was worth.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.