Vortex PST or Leupold VX-3

Like a fool,I will weigh in on this topic. I shoot rifles in the field that are topped with both a Leupy VX3 and a Vortex PST. On some days, I would swear the Leupy has better glass. On other days, it seems the Vortex has it by a nose. I'm not sure why, but both seem to be very good - just in subtly different ways.

The Leupy typically will have more MOA travel and is lighter weight. But then I have had problems with some of my Leupy's internal tracking mechanism (would not return to zero). That is how I came to own the Vortex. Leupold has always stood by their warranty and repaired or replaced scopes for me without question. Haven't had anything go wrong with the Vortex yet, so I can't comment on their customer service, but I hear it is also good. Vortex seems to be the better buy, but then they are the challenger. Leupold has a chunk of market share, so contenders need to offer a good quality scope at a lower price point to pull consumers away and get them to try their product. Overall, I am pleased with both scopes, but neither is a clear winner for me.

I guess you just have to step back and look at the big picture. The internet is one of the best - and worst - things that has happened to us. So much info is now available to us! this deluge of information often dazzles us and we forget to"sift, weigh and measure" what is being said. We forget this and often form an opinion based on the experiences of just one or two members. I am not at all saying these members are wrong in their opinions. But I am saying that statistically, it may be insignificant and not representative of the product or company as a whole.

Read all you can about these companies and scopes on several different forums. If you keep running into the same opinions or problems being encountered by many different members, then maybe the concern has some validity. Ford, Chevy, Dodge: they are all good.......and bad, depending on who you talk to.

I couldn't agree with you more.:)

Sorry for the delay guys, I haven't been around lately.
I'm interested in hearing more about your comparison of the PST to the VX3.
The Leupold 6.5-20 is one of the most common scopes around, I can't even count how many I've seen at the range. Optically they've ranged from pretty mediocre (older 1" models) to pretty decent for the latest/greatest. But remember the context--it was claimed the Leupold 20X would outperform a 24X scope "on the big end."

As you know, for a 20X scope to outperform (or even match the performance) of a 24X scope as far as seeing fine detail at long range with even "pretty decent" glass, the 20X scope needs SUPER FANTASTIC glass, which no Leupold I've ever seen has (I have never seen a VX-7, maybe they were in that category).

Could you maybe say that about a 20X S&B? Premier? Maybe IOR or SS HD? Then you may have a horserace, but all those are a pretty big notch up in glass quality.

I take everything on the internet with a big grain of salt now. Frankly, there is an awful a lot of Vortex kool-aid being consumed, and one never knows what's what.

Good plan and very true. It's always good to be a bit cautious and check out sources.

Also, is the PST significantly better in glass compared to the Viper
Compared with the 6.5-20X50 Viper (the only one I've owned), my 4-16 PST is no better. My 6-24 PST is quite a bit better. Don't ask me why, that's just the way they are.

And of course keep in mind the original question was about the 6-24. I would not tell people to expect the 4-16 PST to be any better than the 4.5-14 MK IV/VX3 optically based upon the one I have. It has better features, more power and much bigger FOV on the low end so I think it's more scope for the money, but if you want good glass in that price/power range get a Weaver 3-15X50.

Hey JonA, what's you opinions of: Welcome - Clearidge Optics!, WOTAC, and Super Snipers?

I don't have any experience with the first two. The Clear Ridge XP5 IIRC are made in Japan and probably of decent quality, but I never looked into them much due to lack of travel/mismatched knobs and reticle/SFP makes them a ways off from what I'm looking for. The WOTAC IIRC are made in China and as with other scopes made there I simply wouldn't trust them when tags and hunting trips are so expensive.

The Super Snipers cover quite a range. I have no experience with the "old original" fixed 10X, 16X and 20X. They have developed a reputation for pretty darn good durability and usable glass in that price range but they are lower end scopes.

The 3-9X42, 1-4X24HD and 10XHD are entirely different animals made in a different factory which are very high quality and compete well with scopes that cost a great deal more. Optically the 3-9 is pretty good and the 1-4HD and 10XHD will compete well with anything out there in those power ranges.

The upcoming big daddy Super Sniper of them all, the 5-20X50HD (which is the one most here will be interested in and the one that fits in this thread the best) is a big step up from either of the scopes asked about originally in this thread and is firmly intended to compete with the $2000 price range scopes (Vortex Razor, NF F1, etc). It will do well in those comparisons but likely cost quite a bit less.

Last edited:
Ok since this is my thread to start with I went to Cabela's and looked through some optics. I looked through the VX-3 MK4 and Zeiss. The Zeiss was best in the 6.5-20 range then the MK4 and then the VX-3. I thought the vx-3 glass was a little fuzzy around the edges the mk4 was better but the Zeiss was just amazing. The only problem with zeiss is the lack of vertical adjustment...but based on what I saw I went with a Nighforce and couldn't be happier.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.