Vortex PST Model Scopes on Big Magnums

I am not saying they cant fail im just saying they (viper) have not been proven to fail any more than the more expensive scopes.

Unfortunately I found this thread AFTER buying a Viper pst. 12 rounds through my 340 wby and the elevation turret came apart... came the @#$% apart. The knob part spins freely and the surrounding ring that shows how many revolutions the turret is at blew off. Called them today and the lady said they would repair it "if there is actually anything wrong after they inspect it". Pfft.

would you ok this is the first viper i have heard of with problems. Im sure yours will get fixed or replaced as promised. Would you have rather bought a scope without the vip warranty?

I know it wasn't on a big magnum, but I just sent my vortex viper 6.5-20x50 back to them today. The elevation turret/knob came completely off. It did reside on a savage model 10 flcp-k (aka 24'' 308 with a brake) I guess we'll see how good the VIP warranty is.

I know it wasn't on a big magnum, but I just sent my vortex viper 6.5-20x50 back to them today. The elevation turret/knob came completely off. It did reside on a savage model 10 flcp-k (aka 24'' 308 with a brake) I guess we'll see how good the VIP warranty is.

Did you call or just send it in? They covered shipping when I called. I got my scope back in 2 days, it was a minor issue, but they were great

Were the set screws checked for being tight that holds the elevation turret knob in place after you set up your zero stop shims?

I have 2 Viper PST scopes. The 4-16 was nearly $900 and the 6-24 was $830 since it was a demo. I am fairly confident that these 2 scopes are better than 90% of all scopes produced 20 years ago. I also wonder how long you had to save 20 years ago to buy a scope that had similar features ?

I do not subscribe to the train of thought that it is necessary to have only $1800+ scopes. If that were the case, the entire firearm industry would only be a fraction of its size since most of us could only afford 1 or 2 rifles.

I have been using my 4-16x50 PST FFP in the field on average 60-70 days a year and have not had the slightest problem with it. Nor have I had any issue with any of my Nikon Monarch 2 scopes, which I was using prior to getting the Vortex. I would say that a scope like the Nikon Monarch is more representative with its simple plex reticle and capped turrets of the kind of equipment hunters had available for years and years. Yet the turrets on my Nikons have worked great and have never let me down and my elevation turret is more or less permanently uncapped for long range (usually not more than 500 yards).

I have owned several Weaver scopes, one of the 10x Bushnell Elite 3200 Mil dot scopes and a Minox Z5 3-15 and other than the fixed 6x Weavers none of them have been satisfactory. The Minox was quite an expensive scope and Weaver seems to be asking a lot of cash for their scopes lately.

Were it not for the fact that I wanted a graduated reticle, the Nikon Monarchs would be OK, but to get a comparable scope to my PST's from one of the name brands would cost several times more. My experience in using them has not yet changed that opinion.

We all need to keep in mind some parameters (yes I read the thread you linked to)....

Foremost, it's a mechanical apparatus comprised of many parts and being a mechanical apparatus, you will have a failure rate in the field, thats a given. How many cars go back for warranty fixes for instance. A recent example comes to mind. Chrysler literally sold millions of Jeeps that are prone to fires if hit in the rear and now that have to fix the issue or the Ford cruise module fires on diesel trucks, Ford is replacing the module... Parts and assemblies fail

Vortex stands behind their product with an unconditional lifetime guarantee (just like all reputable scope manufacturers do, so, IMO, an issue is no issue because it gets fixed or replaced, no questions asked.

I have 3 Vortex Vipers, one on a 338 Lapua. No issues. On the other hand I have a very high end Leupold (like twice the price of a PST) thats on my bench rest target rifle that had to go back to Leupold and Stevens twice, one time for a reticle shift and once for a parallelax issue adjustment issue. Both times Leupold and Stevens paid the ship costs both ways and did a quick turnaround, exactly the same service you'll get from Vortex optics, if the warranty service need arises.

Don't worry, if your porridge is cold, you can reheat it.

What I'm alluding to here is the issues, real or imagined are, in fact, no issue at all.

Far as I'm concerned, their glass is good (enough for me) and I don't dwell on what could be an issue until it becomes an issue.

I'm not a rabid fan of any optic. The prices to value ratio of Vortex optics makes them very attractive to me, and, obviously many others...

We all need to keep in mind some parameters (yes I read the thread you linked to)....

Foremost, it's a mechanical apparatus comprised of many parts and being a mechanical apparatus, you will have a failure rate in the field, thats a given. How many cars go back for warranty fixes for instance. A recent example comes to mind. Chrysler literally sold millions of Jeeps that are prone to fires if hit in the rear and now that have to fix the issue or the Ford cruise module fires on diesel trucks, Ford is replacing the module... Parts and assemblies fail

Vortex stands behind their product with an unconditional lifetime guarantee (just like all reputable scope manufacturers do, so, IMO, an issue is no issue because it gets fixed or replaced, no questions asked.

I have 3 Vortex Vipers, one on a 338 Lapua. No issues. On the other hand I have a very high end Leupold (like twice the price of a PST) thats on my bench rest target rifle that had to go back to Leupold and Stevens twice, one time for a reticle shift and once for a parallelax issue adjustment issue. Both times Leupold and Stevens paid the ship costs both ways and did a quick turnaround, exactly the same service you'll get from Vortex optics, if the warranty service need arises.

Don't worry, if your porridge is cold, you can reheat it.

What I'm alluding to here is the issues, real or imagined are, in fact, no issue at all.

Far as I'm concerned, their glass is good (enough for me) and I don't dwell on what could be an issue until it becomes an issue.

I'm not a rabid fan of any optic. The prices to value ratio of Vortex optics makes them very attractive to me, and, obviously many others...

VEry well said!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.