Vortex - Not a Wise CS Business Decision

338winmag

Anyone else see this?

I have spoken highly of Vortex for two Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50mm scopes (purchased at different times). I felt they were reasonably priced (at the time) and only two design issues (one a bit subjective).

1. I felt the fine cross hairs were really nice for target but for hunting they might pose a problem on dark targets at the end or beginning of daylight hours.

2. The magnification power ring is a ribbed rubber band and is a pretty big design flaw. It is difficult to turn the magnification ring easily and could be a serious hunt issue if one needs to turn power up or down in any quick time. In the case of one of my scopes, it has become stretched and loose after only one day at the range. (I will repair myself rather then send in for warranty repair).

I have been trying to think how to make my own device to correct this issue when I happened to go to their site and lo and behold, they have a fix for this magnification power ring issue. First before I state what I have found, it is obvious this was an issue because they came up with a "fix". Unfortunately (and here is where I am a bit miffed). The fix is $79.00!!!

Between this unfortunate customer service fix along with their scope prices going up pretty significantly, this has me rethinking Vortex scope purchases or recommending them.

Are you talking about the switch view throw lever? I am not sure this is specifically a fix for the issue you discussed. It may solve the problem but there are many options by many different manufacturers out there for these, some OEM and others aftermarket.

I haven't seen higher prices either. Maybe I am not looking in the right places.

Scot E.

I noticed the loose rubber band feel to the power ring also one my dad has, not a big issue but they do need to come up with something better.
As for the cross hair it's perfect!!!!!

Yes I do like the fine crosshairs but I do hunt bear and a closeup shot without illumination with the HS series during dawn or dusk hours in the dark timber could be interesting. Most of my bear shots have been 40 feet (yes adrenalin was pumping) to about 60 yards.

Yes - "about the switch view throw lever". The previous Viper scopes had a extruded bump on the plastic ring.

There have been enough complaints on this "loose rubber band magnification power ring" that they had to come up with this "fix" (that is my guess). I think the the $80.00 cost set me off. Is anyone saying there are some other vendors offering such a device?

The HS scopes have all gone up at minimum of $50.00 in a matter of less than 2 months.

Oh well. I vented. I will go back to my coloring book.

You may be right about the costs, I just haven't seen it here locally. Most stores, especially online, can't even keep them in stock. That has a tendency to raise prices.

I am sure they will cover it under their very solid warranty. That would save you the $$.

Scot E.

The prices will continue to go up until after the election. This is nothing new ..... remember what happened in 08.

The prices will continue to go up until after the election. This is nothing new ..... remember what happened in 08.

i think in this case it has more to do with the fact that the scope was extreamly underpriced to begin with, they are just bringing it closer to par.

I purchased a Viper PST FFP MILRAD 6-24x50 from Brian at Shoot-Long.com and his prices are the lowest I have found and he was able to get the scope for me in a few weeks. I have been waiting months for one from Midway and cancelled that order when Brian emailed me he had one coming. I think if you see prices going up, you should probably get your order in ASAP.

I have four Vortex scopes now and I like every one of them. They make a **** good scope at a good price. Give Brian a call or email him at Shoot-Long.com and I bet he can get you what you want at a great price and in a reasonable amout of time.

I just spoke with Larry at Vortex and my scope rubber ring is doing the same thing. Larry told me he has never heard of this problem. So either they have only had a few failures, or they are hiding the truth that the rubber fails, and it becomes loose. Once loose the rubber slips on the power ring and it is VERY hard to get the power to adjust. Larry told me to get some gorilla glue and a tooth pick and glue it back into place. He did offer for me to have it sent in and repaired, but since it is mounted on my muzzle loader, I prefer not to have to re-zero if there is an easy fix. I personally feel the proper fix would be a metal clamp on throw lever but that was not offered as a fix, only glue after cleaned.

As for the scopes, I have many Vortex, but if these little BS failures continue to occur without support from Vortex, my numbers will reduce not grow

Last edited:
Gorilla glue. That's the solution? Really? :)

Perhaps Vortex scopes will, in the future, come with a small tube of Gorilla glue included in the packaging materials.

......I have been trying to think how to make my own device to correct this issue when I happened to go to their site and lo and behold, they have a fix for this magnification power ring issue. First before I state what I have found, it is obvious this was an issue because they came up with a "fix". Unfortunately (and here is where I am a bit miffed). The fix is $79.00!!!..........

I don't know enough about Vortex to comment there, but scope power ring levers are becoming common.

Brownell's has 2 pages of them, I did see Leupold, Swarovski, and Nightforce listed. All about $80-100.

If they offer to fix it, but you won't send it, clamps, glue, or duct tape might be the do it yourself fixes left?

I just spoke with Larry at Vortex and my scope rubber ring is doing the same thing. Larry told me he has never heard of this problem. So either they have only had a few failures, or they are hiding the truth that the rubber fails, and it becomes loose. Once loose the rubber slips on the power ring and it is VERY hard to get the power to adjust. Larry told me to get some gorilla glue and a tooth pick and glue it back into place. He did offer for me to have it sent in and repaired, but since it is mounted on my muzzle loader, I prefer not to have to re-zero if there is an easy fix. I personally feel the proper fix would be a metal clamp on throw lever but that was not offered as a fix, only glue after cleaned.

As for the scopes, I have many Vortex, but if these little BS failures continue to occur without support from Vortex, my numbers will reduce not grow

Vortex touts their customer service as flawless and their warranty to be impeccable. I would get in contact with Sam at Vortex and relay your experience with Larry. I had something similar and their response was above and beyond what I expected.

I do feel that they will try to excuse away their warranty at times. You have to be persistent with them and make them honor their claims.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.