Vortex Long Range Ballistics Calculator & custom turret service

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
FROM VORTEX:

Vortex Optics goes long with its newly launched
Long Range Ballistics Calculator
and custom turret service

It's a huge trend and doesn't appear to be slowing down. Seemingly everyone today wants to maximize the full potential of their rifle and extend their effective hunting range.

Vortex optics met the high level of interest in long range shooting and hunting head on by launching its Long Range Ballistics Calculator (LRBC) program and Trajectory Matched Turret (TMT) custom turret service on its Web site.

Anyone can use the LRBC program to generate custom drop charts for specific rifles and preferred loads – and it's free. Use the charts as references while hunting, to make ballistic comparisons, etc. The data is yours. Data entered is stored and can be accessed and adjusted in each users individual account.

Custom, laser-cut TMT turrets are built using data entered into the LRBC program. Vortex TMT turrets give hunters and shooters the ability to quickly and accurately dial elevation when presented with a long range shot. Range the target, turn the turret to the corresponding marked yardage and hold dead on – it's that simple. Of course, there is the human element involved. That's where practice, knowing your equipment and learning to judge variables like wind velocity come in.

The new web services are a natural fit for Vortex – After all, you can't hit what you can't see and many of Vortex's riflescopes are ideally suited for long-range work.

"It's a great tool for our customers," said Joe Hamilton, Vortex Optics national sales manager. "Today's rifles, calibers and modern ammunition coupled with an appropriate riflescope give hunters and shooters capabilities unheard of just a few years ago. 300 yards used to be a pretty long shot – today, armed with the right equipment, knowledge and practice, accurate shots 600 yards and beyond aren't uncommon."

To check out the exciting new programs, visit Vortex Optics - Home and click on the LRBC button.

American owned, Middleton, Wis. based Vortex Optics designs, engineers, produces and distributes a complete line of premium binoculars, riflescopes, spotting scopes, tripods and related accessories. Dedicated to exceptional quality, value and unrivaled customer service, Vortex backs its products with its unconditional, transferable, lifetime VIP-warranty. Built on more than 20 years of experience in the optics industry, Vortex is rapidly emerging as a leading brand in the optics market.

Vortex - The Force of Optics | Vortex Optics - Home

I don't get the idea of turrets matched to a special load with speeds and drop and so. I mean, things like that changes in the weather, temperature, and slight variations in batches of powder, and that is not to speak of changing loads, bullets or cases.

Why do I want something that is less versatile than a one-way street?

If you shoot benchrest I can understand the need, maybe.

I have one that I got from Vortex on my new 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA. This weekend I am planning on testing it out at 300 & 400 yds after I sight it in to my zero at 200 yds. gun)gun)gun)

"Aim small miss small", :D

joseph

I had the same problem. Went back and studied the video a couple of times until I got it to work. Not sure exactly what I did different, but it will work.

I don't get the idea of turrets matched to a special load with speeds and drop and so. I mean, things like that changes in the weather, temperature, and slight variations in batches of powder, and that is not to speak of changing loads, bullets or cases.

Why do I want something that is less versatile than a one-way street?

If you shoot benchrest I can understand the need, maybe.

Hinkara-I didn't either once upon a time, but have come to value these type devices for certain applications as my knowledge of exterior ballistics progressed.

Specifically, I've learned that fumbling around with a kestral, drop chart, PDA, etc may not be necessary if you shoot a very high performance round, and limit yourself to yardages to which you've trained/practiced your ability to judge wind and shoot the rifle within.

Example; the 30-338 Lapua that JE Custom/Lone Wolf built here can shoot the relatively high BC bullets like the 208 Amax/210 VLD bullet at very high velocities.... minimizing the effects of wind at all distances, but especially at shorter ones. If one was to limit themselves to a range 600 to 800 yards, and winds of no more than 5-7 mph, after running the exterior ballistics numbers on that specific combo....you have a scenario, where you hunt with a laser and your custom turret, and hold for wind. With this specific rifle/bullet combination, and a 200 yard zero, the windage for a 7 mph wind is nearly identical for the elevation correction at the same yardage. Winds over 7 mph at my location is about where my ability to correctly judge it starts to falter, and it's effect on the bullet at distances over 600-800 yard edge it out of the smart zone.....for me in a hasty type scenario.

If you encounter a shot outside of your predetermined limits learned from practice with that rifle/bullet/optic combination, you take your time to plug in the enviros into a computer, or consult a drop chart, dial the appropriate correction, and then take a more deliberate shot.

IMO...there is great value in categorizing LR hunting approaches into two basic styles.....

Hasty-LRF, custom turret, high horsepower high BC rifle, shots confined to predetermined limits on range and wind conditions.

Deliberate-LRF, Kestral, PDA, Spotter, multiple wind calls from between spotter/shooter, longer distances.

I agree with you on the turret would only be good for one set of conditions, one bullet, one MV....but many LRH are shooting setups that once they find the magic powder/bullet combo for that rifle....they stick with it for the life of the rifle. Many of these combos are hunted with in the same enviro range...and if kept within shorter ranges, the ballistic differences from small changes in (temp, humidty, altitude) don't reveal themselves as much as farther ranges.

I'm always attempting to learn....so would appreciate to hear your feedback on my response!

Good on Vortex to offer this!

This past Tuesday I received my custom turret from Vortex. It is calibrated in yards so when I range with my laser range finder all I have to do is turn the turret to the yardage and shoot.

It is mounted on my new Votrex Viper 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope.

First I had to get it sighted in at 200 yds. which is my zero.

The elevation was approximately 800 feet, humidity about 60% and the temperature was 85 degrees. Wind was nil.

I then zeroed my turrets. the elevation was set at 2 for 200 yds. the windage was set at zero. When this was completed we moved back to the 400 yd position.

I set up to shoot and turned the elevation turret to 4 for 400 yds. which was calibrated from my drop chart by who ever does it for Vortex. With the windage turret left at zero this is the 3 shot group I got AT 400 YARDS with the scope set at 24 power. The rifle is a 6mm Norma BR. shooting Berger 105 gr. VLDs & Varget. The barrel is a 26" Brux 1 in 8" twist.

You look at the target. Is there anything more I need to say about the scope, custom turret or my rifle?

attachment.php

"Aim small miss small", :D

joseph

PS: I am really impressed with this scope. The optics were very clear and I never could see the "halo" on the outside of the lens, but it was a bright day. If you guys & gals can wait to get one you won't regret it. Next weekend God willing I will try to compare the optics with my buddies new Night Force.

Last edited:
Hinkraka, You talk about changing lots of powder and having velocity changes. If you don't rework your load to get back to the same velocity, you would have to rework your drop charts, or whatever system you are using, anyway. You would just have your turret built to reflect the average conditions that you would expect. You could always have more than one turret for different conditions/areas.

Autorotate:

I can understand, and second, your view. In the offchance of me staying with one load through the life of the rifle (even considering I might keep a rifle for more than a few years ;)) I might stay with one perfect load. At least as backup load.

But I think I am the kind of person that will go on and try different bullets and powders every year, go with what I feel is adequate at every opportunity. And I guess from how I know myself, I know others.

I am pretty sure I will never get one of these, but for those persons where your descriptions fit, I guess it's perfect ;)

Now I'm confused. As I understand it a accurate load vibrates the barrel at a certain harmonic at a certain speed. If you change loads you need to get back to that harmonic or node and speed. If the two loads have the same speed what changed in your trajectory unless you changed your BC enough to make a large difference.

Russ Hatch: different powders, different hardness of bullets and so on builds pressure differently, so even different batches of powder (here in Sweden I can only store so much powder) can have different vibrations with the same load recepie.

BUT that doesn't really matter for the turret. Since the turret only cares about V0, and that you are dead center on a certain distance. So even if my two loads exit the barrel at two different places, have they the same speed I can use the same turret (given the same bc of course). It's up to me to line up hits and reticle before that.

So there I don't think the turret has any negatives.

I just don't find it versatile enough. I love being able to zero my scope with one load, have a few markings saying that with another load I use +/- so and so clicks in elevation and windage and I'm true. Then I have two lists of drop and how to compensate for that, and for windage. I want this setup, even though at times it is more work than the BDC-turrets, since I find it more versatile, less work in switching and less being fooled by numbers for another load :p

Does anyone know if these are single or double turn turrets? In the picture it looks like single turn. 12 moa does not get very far......

Does anyone know if these are single or double turn turrets? In the picture it looks like single turn. 12 moa does not get very far......

My scope is a Viper PST FFP MOA 6-24x50mm. I am shooting a 6mm Norma BR. with 105 gr. Berger VLDs with a Brux 1 in 8" twist 26" barrel. I shot my drop chart with a 200 yd. zero then 300 Yds then 400 yds. I gave Vortex the info and a week later I had my custom turret. After I sighted it in at 200 yds I set the custom turret at 2 for 200 yds.

The first revolution on the custom turret goes to 625 yds and the second revolution goes to 900 + yds.

With the Mil scope you get more distance with each revolution.

If I was shooting a much flatter round I would get more distance with a custom turret programmed for that particular round.

I hope I am explaining this correctly,

joseph

Last edited:
What everyone has stated makes perfect sense. I have acquired a Leupold 3x18 side focus CDS Vx6 scope for my Kimber 8400 .300 WM so I could be more efficient when hunting. When I have got my ballistics down and know my load I'll send the info to Leupold and then I'll receive the turret I need for that load. I can always request a different turret for a new load if needed. Adjusting the turret for the distance I'll be shooting will be fast and easy. It was good to see the results from the Vortex turret and the grouping you got. I'm excited to get my rifle dialed in.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.